Will a coyote jump a fence?

Clayne B

I have been doing some scouting and found a spot where for 3 nights in a row i have heard probably 15 coyotes and a few groups of coyotes howling yipping and barking about half an hour after sun down.

My question is, they are all on military property and i do not have access to it. it is fenced off with that 4 inch square "chicken" wire fence that is about 4 feet tall. Will they jump the fence to come to my call?

interesting....barbed wire I figure they would go through, instead of over. Im sure they could jump if they wanted to.

I find them hanging in my snares all the time from the top wire, usually they will dig under for normal travel but they can easily jump that.

Coyotes have a really bad habit of getting shot on one side of the fence then dying on the other side.

Back to your original question, a four ft web wire fence is not coyote proof, they can easily climb over it if they so desire, generally they have numerous places they can crawl under.

I have an old Bluetick hound that has climbed over fences bordering the Indian Nations Turnpike and Interstate 44 while tracking bad guys. Those fences are web wire five feet tall with three barbed wires above that. I also have a little Black and Tan bitch that can climb a six ft Preifert dog panel. These are six ft tall and have 2 in by 4 webs.

My experience with calling them through woven wire (that's what we Wyoming cattle ranchers call those types of fence) is that they will come, and I am sure they could jump it if they were really ambitious, but IME they will follow the fence until they find a hole that's been dug under it and then come through that.

This is what makes snaring them under such fences so effective......especially if said fence borders a high prey population like a prarie dog town as an example.

In my opinion, the person who sets a snare on such fence should have the permission of parties on Both sides of said fence, but I don't know that is actually a law.

Back to calling them across that fence. IME, it takes longer than expected for them to get to the gun, because they don't necessarily come in on a strait line. They may follow the fence for a 1/4 to 1/2 mile to find a crossing and then come toward the call from a different direction than last spotted or heard.

Watch both directions and be patient. Set up 200-300 yds from said fence if possible in open country, to reduce the odds of them coming in from behind you.

Good Luck:)

Attachments

• 250 yd summer coyote with 204.jpg
    250 yd summer coyote with 204.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 153
Coyotes have a really bad habit of getting shot on one side of the fence then dying on the other side.

Agreed! I've seen them shot on one side of the fence and then drop stone dead 3 or 4 hundred yards on the other side :) I've only ever met one rancher who got mad at my story, he was a real piece of hell anyway and seemed to enjoy the coyote infestation he had on his property.

Im going to try calling them to the "safe" side of the fence Saturday morning.

As far as shooting threw the fence or onto there property, NO WAY, I was out there the other night and a helicopter buzzed us. I did not know helicopters could be so quiet. I swear it was in stealth mode. There is no problem hunting around the property but it is clearly posted every 100 yards on the fence.

Back when I lived in the midwest I ran coyote hounds. I have seen them clear a 48" woven wire fence with an easy jump. Of course this was with dogs after them. I had an 80 acre training pen with coyotes in it that I used to start my pups. The fence was 9' tall. To keep the coyotes in we had an electric wire at the base ( to keep them from digging out) and another hot wire 5' up the fence to keep them from climbing out. They will grab wire with their mouth and climb up. I once put one in a wire corn crib over night. In the morning he was clear at the top (16 to 20') and not coming down. That was a rodeo we should have videoed.:D

My point is if they want to come to that call they will. Especially if you have a couple young ones that get to racing to the call.

One other thing. You described hearing sveral yotes. Having had 30 at a time in the training pen we have spent lots of time with them. 2 or 3 yotes doing their yipping and howling ritual will sound like a dozen. It is amazing the serenade 3 yotes will put out.

Jeff

I have been doing some scouting and found a spot where for 3 nights in a row i have heard probably 15 coyotes and a few groups of coyotes howling yipping and barking about half an hour after sun down.

My question is, they are all on military property and i do not have access to it. it is fenced off with that 4 inch square "chicken" wire fence that is about 4 feet tall. Will they jump the fence to come to my call?
Fences do not stop coyotes. If they want to see the other side of a fence they will go over, under, or through it.

Back when I lived in the midwest I ran coyote hounds. I have seen them clear a 48" woven wire fence with an easy jump. Of course this was with dogs after them. I had an 80 acre training pen with coyotes in it that I used to start my pups. The fence was 9' tall. To keep the coyotes in we had an electric wire at the base ( to keep them from digging out) and another hot wire 5' up the fence to keep them from climbing out. They will grab wire with their mouth and climb up. I once put one in a wire corn crib over night. In the morning he was clear at the top (16 to 20') and not coming down. That was a rodeo we should have videoed.:D

My point is if they want to come to that call they will. Especially if you have a couple young ones that get to racing to the call.

One other thing. You described hearing sveral yotes. Having had 30 at a time in the training pen we have spent lots of time with them. 2 or 3 yotes doing their yipping and howling ritual will sound like a dozen. It is amazing the serenade 3 yotes will put out.

Jeff
I'd never heard of such, some day you should write those stories down.

Do not underestimate the ability of a coyote to get where he wants to go. Fun facr... They travel a six minute mile in that easy lope they use. But when calling near obstacles, natural or man made it pays to be patient. They do tend to "hang up" and can be challenging.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.