Will a 700 Ultramag action feed regular magnum cases?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by sambo3006, Aug 30, 2008.

1. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

I've heard that an ultramag receiver will more than likely feed regular magnum cases without a hitch, but not as likely the other way around. Is this correct?
    Thanks,
    Sam

2. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Generally it will feed a standard belted magnum just fine. What you may run into is shoulder bind of the rounds in the magazine. Simple fix, put a standard mag box in the rifle to replace the window box for the RUM.

Cheap fix.

3. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Thank you sir, for your expert opinion. That is exactly what I figured, and have tried it in a few of mine with belted cartridges and they fed slick as a whistle. I am trying to sell an action that came off an ultramag and have had a couple people ask me if the bolt face is for a regular magnum or Ultramag or say that the Ultramag action won't feed standard magnums. I have provided them with links about the bolt face being the same and told them they feed fine for me, but the mag box might need to be changed. I guess they are all expert gunsmiths and in their universe they have a different bolt face and crunch the shells up like paper if you try to cycle them through.

You have been a wonderful resource for this web site and we all appreciate your advice, experience (and your AM's!)

Have a good Labor Day,

Sam