Will 2 rifles that are almost clones shoot the same ammo with equal accuracy?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Not quite clones of each other but here's my story --

I just came back from my first range outing with my new rifle. I wanted a new one because the components I use in building my Long Range Rifles, LLC guns has evolved a little bit. I think the one I use personally should use exactly the same components I am building my customer rifles with. So this one has the LRR action made for me by Stiller with my own LRR logo on it.

6978.jpg

6983cropweb.jpg

I wondered if I'd have to do any load development with this one since it was built with the same reamer and same barrel profile, twist, etc. I have about a hundred rounds left from my previous rifle. That rifle is a real shooter and is for sale by the way.

After sighting in my scope I fired group #1 into 1/2 inches. My 2nd group was just over an inch and I thought what the heck? Noticed a loosely attached bipod and remembered that I hadn't totally tightened in on. It was slightly loose in my hand, explaining the horizontal dispersion.

Anyway, I tightened it and here's a picture of the 3rd group. It measures a smidge over 3/8 inches for 3 shots at 100 yds. It would superimpose nicely over the first group, the 1/2 inch one. So the point is I can use the same ammo with no load development needed! I am sure I could reload for tighter groups but I'd rather shoot than reload....

6977.jpg

Last edited:
Thats great that that worked out for you, I have never had that kind of luck myself, me and my buddy built two rifles with all the same components, same smith same reamer both ended up liking a differernt powder, I built 3 6.5X47's and ended up with 3 different loads, 2 used rl 15 1 used varget the 2 with the rl 15 were different bullets , one a 130 berger the other the 123 amax the varget load would not shoot the amax so we went with the berger thats awsome that it worked out for you I always think that is the way it should be, but not my luck

Its possible but unlikely two identical guns will do there absolute best with the exact same load

Second range trip. Cleaned for first time after 8 or 10 rounds yesterday. Two fouling shots, which were one ragged hole, by the way.

These 2 groups were each 3 shots. First one was .38, second was .30 and the two would superimpose on .38 inches.

Attachments

• 6998.jpg
    6998.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 96
Yep, that's nice but it don't always work that way. There is alot of unseen differences in barrels even though they are from the same manufacturer and the same contour.

Len, I just did the same thing, Last years f-class rifle in 284 was on a 6 groove benchmark, savage Target action.

This years is a Borden BRM action with a Krieger Criterion button rifled barrel.

Shot my 180 Berger Hybred load yesterday, left over from last year, the 4th -9th bullet out of Criterion went into one very small ragged hole, .122"

From what many of us have learned in competition shooting, of many disiplines, is that some loads do very well in many rifles.

Aaron would expound with similar information from his products.

And yesterday --- the ultimate test of the "almost clone" rifle.

I went out to my friend's farm to shoot at 900 yards. Using the Gunwerks G7 BR2 rangefinder I ranged my target and the unit told me 900 yards and 21.1 MOA. This unit samples air density and gives you a corrected range based on current conditions and on the ballistic profile you first enter into it. I still had the profile in there from last fall with my earlier rifle.

I shot 3 rounds and went down to see the results.

Group size was 2.25 inches and more importantly, the group centered its vertical position dead center on the bull and a little to the right.

Great shooting Len and a good looking piece as well! I missed what cartridge this was? I've found that there are loads that will shoot well but generally even the closest of clones require some minor tweaking; probably just because they really aren't clones but rather an "attempt" at cloning:D. I'm also chambering a 5r Bartlein with my 30/375 S.I. and am anxious to see how it compares to my 4 groove Krieger. Both have 28" barrels. Keep the posts coming.......Rich

I have sporters built out of the same chamberings as competition rifles. Most will use the same amunition and if they do not it is only a minor tweek in powder charge. Everything else is the same with the load. Makes it easy because I don't adjust the dies on my competition rifles after they are set. My dies are all made when the first of a chambering is built-----what you have found Len is common of rifles built by people that know what they are doing...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.