Wildcat RBBT--872

philny1

I see 872 mentioned quite a bit, regarding AMs. Just what is it and where is it available. Going to place a order for some Wildcat bullets for my 30-378, normally shoot 180 gr TSXs. Has anyone tried the 190 gr RBBT.
Thanks
Phil

WC 872 is a surplus powder used in 20mm vulcan cannon rounds. It is about the slowest powder available. I say "about" because it will depend on the lot#. Hodgdons US869 looks to be even slower but at around $130 for 8lbs the WC872 kicks ***. The price on WC872 usually runs around $35-40 for 8lbs.
You can find it at several sites, here are two.
Bartlett Reloaders
Pats Reloading

I use WC872 in my large wildcats, ive tried the US869, it is hotter over the 872. H-BMG50 powder works very well also.
by my tests:

US869 fastest of the three
H-BMG50 close to 869
WC872 slowest
There is a Vitavori powder that is slower yet.

But you cant beat the price on the WC872, as long as you can build up enough pressure to make it work. It likes heavy bullets in the big cases. I use about 145grns in my 338 snipe-tac (338-408C-T Imp) with a 300grn bullet, that will net me around 3400fps.

Dave

WC872(n) Original application is U.S. 20mm Vulcan ammo. A ball powder which
can be loaded using Hodgdon H870 or AA8700 data.
This is new ball powder.
$40/8# jug.
$40.00 plus $20.00 HazMat fee. Can't beat that.
Thanks Guys.

[ QUOTE ]
WC872(n) Original application is U.S. 20mm Vulcan ammo. A ball powder which ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a ball powder, is it more temp sensitive than the extruded powders (ie H50BMG) ?

Or is that a old wives tale?

Thanks,
Don

Don
Here in NY its fairly easy to do load developement in...say a 20-50* temp spread. Even during our summer (both days) its usually cool & calm at first light when I do my shootin'. This would kinda match the temps I've encountered out west and AK too.
When I hear temp sensitive, I kinda think a spread of 20-50-80-90*.
Don't beleive its a myth, some are loading for two seasons.
Don't beleive with my routine I'll be affected my it.
Could be wrong, AGAIN!!!
Phil

Hunt fast. Brag whenever ya can get somebody to listen.
NRA Life Member.

AJ Peacock,

TO some degree it is true that it would be more sensitive to temp changes then H-50BMG.

In your case, with the rifle you will be getting in 338 AM, all powders are somewhat sensitive to temp changes. You put 145 to 150 grains of powder under a 300 gr bullet in a .338 caliber bore you will see some difference when the temp changes no matter what powder you use so I would not be overly worried about this.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
AJ Peacock,

TO some degree it is true that it would be more sensitive to temp changes then H-50BMG.

In your case, with the rifle you will be getting in 338 AM, all powders are somewhat sensitive to temp changes. You put 145 to 150 grains of powder under a 300 gr bullet in a .338 caliber bore you will see some difference when the temp changes no matter what powder you use so I would not be overly worried about this.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby, no worries. Once I run through the H50BMG I have on hand, you'll be putting a new barrel on it for me.

Don

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.