wildcat build 6.5 x 61 Sharpe and Hart

Montana Guy

Im trying to find reamers, for rent or sale, which are simply the 7 x 61 Sharpe and Hart necked down to 6.5mm. This cartridge was extensively experimented by Jarry Shannon of Spanaway, Washington. Jerry's work on this cartridge was listed by P O Ackley as the 264 x 61 Shannon and it mentions a 35 ° shoulder. Jerry was a pretty good smith from the 1940's to the 1970's.
So far Pacific T &G has prints for a 6.5 x 61 S&H but it is a full quarter inch shorter than the parent 7 x 61 Sharpe and Hart.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

My intent is a deer or elk field rifle in a bolt gun shooting 140 to 160 grain hunting bullets and a max killing range of 600 yards.

Thanks for the list. The only 2 I havnt tried, Clymer and Manson although a friend called Manson. So far Pacific does have a schematic but it is a quqrter inch shorter than the parent case, 7x61 Sharpe and Hart. If I went that way I would lose most of the 5 grains I could gain by using the Super 7x61 case. Again thanks and dont hesitate to let me know if you find something.

Thanks for the list. The only 2 I havnt tried, Clymer and Manson although a friend called Manson. So far Pacific does have a schematic but it is a quqrter inch shorter than the parent case, 7x61 Sharpe and Hart. If I went that way I would lose most of the 5 grains I could gain by using the Super 7x61 case. Again thanks and dont hesitate to let me know if you find something.

Just have him change the dimensions to suit your need.

7x61 S&H is a cool old wildcat and a 6.5mm version would be cool, but for sanity-sake, you might be better off in the long-run just building a .264 WinMag. There's not that much difference between the 2.

7x61 S&H is a cool old wildcat and a 6.5mm version would be cool, but for sanity-sake, you might be better off in the long-run just building a .264 WinMag. There's not that much difference between the 2.

Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly is easier working with SAAMI dimensions.
A 6.5 x 61 would be about 8 grains less powder than a 264 win. If the 6.5 x 61 is similar to the Super 7 x61 then I shouldnt have as much barrel errosion. Should be far more comfoftable to shoot and deliver performance beyond the 264 Win.
But more expensive to shoot even with reloading.

The suggestion is acknowleged and will proceed to Pacific. Kinda daunting filling in one of thier dimension sheets but will give it a go.

I know exactly what you mean. I am having Dave Manson build me a custom reamer. I emailed him my dimensions from a parent cartridge with the dimensions and he sent me a modified schematic of exactly what I want. When I presented the schematic to my gunsmith, he recommended a minor change.

Sent it back to Dave and he in turn sent me a final revised copy with all of the changes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.