Wild Cats rome free in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by REDHEAD, Apr 8, 2011.

1. REDHEAD

REDHEAD Well-Known Member

Talking with a Minnesota Conservation Officer and he warned me " DO NOT SHOOT ( or kill ) A CAT IN MINNESOTA ". Its a FELONY ... Minnesota dose not have a feral cat law . The PETA have a powerfull loby. lightbulb

2. mngunhead

mngunhead Member

I'll tell you I've seen plenty of them while out hunting. I'm surprised that would be considered a felony. You would think they want to eliminate them as they would an invasive species, which is pretty much what they are. Even a cute little house cat is a fierce hunter at heart. They hunt with skills we only wish we posessed. They are the result of irresponsible cat owners that don't spay or neuter their pets. I assume most of them are the result of barn cats that breed at will. I don't agree with the law, but I am not a law breaker, so the cats are safe.

3. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

This last winter a wild cat showed up hanging out in the barn and was knocking the mice and pack rats so I started feeding it. I live in a very remote area and it is the first domestic wild cat I have ever seen here.

Well it is a female as it just had kittens. I have not seen another cat and am blown away about the whole affair. Will get her fixed but don't know what to do about the kittens. If I see any more will shoot them. Don't need domestic cats gone wild roaming around competing for food with the natural wildlife here.

4. jdjeagher

jdjeagher New Member

I checked as best I could online, and I found a few references to it being completely legal to shoot feral cats in Minnesota with no restrictions. Does anybody know the actual legal status?lightbulb

5. REDHEAD

REDHEAD Well-Known Member

I am going to mcheck again .

6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I shoot every cat I see that isn't close to dwellings, they are pure hell on wildlife. Always need a barn cat but more than one is one to many!!

7. brentdrake

brentdrake Active Member

I agree with to many cats. I read in an article that tow cats in four years = 400,000. They need to be controlled.

8. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Live trap them, and leave them midnight mailbox at the game department and peta offices.

9. Yotekiller

Yotekiller Well-Known Member

What does the law say about shooting cougars? They are multiplying quickly in south eastern MN. I have seen two, and I know people who have game cam pics.

10. FAL Shot

FAL Shot Well-Known Member

My neighbor, when I lived in Minnesota, would thin out his wild barn cats whenever they got overpopulated. Never heard of a law saying you couldn't shoot feral cats.

I never saw feral cats out in the woods, so I suppose they were being controlled. We had wolves about, and if the wolves got them, then that's a good thing about wolves.