Wild Cats rome free in Minnesota

REDHEAD

Talking with a Minnesota Conservation Officer and he warned me " DO NOT SHOOT ( or kill ) A CAT IN MINNESOTA ". Its a FELONY ... Minnesota dose not have a feral cat law . The PETA have a powerfull loby. lightbulb

I'll tell you I've seen plenty of them while out hunting. I'm surprised that would be considered a felony. You would think they want to eliminate them as they would an invasive species, which is pretty much what they are. Even a cute little house cat is a fierce hunter at heart. They hunt with skills we only wish we posessed. They are the result of irresponsible cat owners that don't spay or neuter their pets. I assume most of them are the result of barn cats that breed at will. I don't agree with the law, but I am not a law breaker, so the cats are safe.

This last winter a wild cat showed up hanging out in the barn and was knocking the mice and pack rats so I started feeding it. I live in a very remote area and it is the first domestic wild cat I have ever seen here.

Well it is a female as it just had kittens. I have not seen another cat and am blown away about the whole affair. Will get her fixed but don't know what to do about the kittens. If I see any more will shoot them. Don't need domestic cats gone wild roaming around competing for food with the natural wildlife here.

I checked as best I could online, and I found a few references to it being completely legal to shoot feral cats in Minnesota with no restrictions. Does anybody know the actual legal status?lightbulb

I shoot every cat I see that isn't close to dwellings, they are pure hell on wildlife. Always need a barn cat but more than one is one to many!!

I agree with to many cats. I read in an article that tow cats in four years = 400,000. They need to be controlled.

Talking with a Minnesota Conservation Officer and he warned me " DO NOT SHOOT ( or kill ) A CAT IN MINNESOTA ". Its a FELONY ... Minnesota dose not have a feral cat law . The PETA have a powerfull loby. lightbulb

Live trap them, and leave them midnight mailbox at the game department and peta offices.

What does the law say about shooting cougars? They are multiplying quickly in south eastern MN. I have seen two, and I know people who have game cam pics.

My neighbor, when I lived in Minnesota, would thin out his wild barn cats whenever they got overpopulated. Never heard of a law saying you couldn't shoot feral cats.

I never saw feral cats out in the woods, so I suppose they were being controlled. We had wolves about, and if the wolves got them, then that's a good thing about wolves.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.