Wife's new AR +2 yotes

1984nitro

Thought everyone would enjoy this. I convince my wife that she need a ar15 and after doing my research I decided that would build it myself. So because it was for her I had the green light to spend the money for the good stuff.
Spec: RRA 20" barrel
DPMS upper
Les Baer bolt
Dpms carrer and handle
I had to got with stag lower because of CALI law
I topped it with new nikon m223 and 20moa base WOW is all I can say about it.
So back during thanks giving I was back in Idaho and had time for a yote hunt in 5" of snow YES. Upon arriving to the first dirt road my buddy and I spotted 4 yote just off the road. We jump out only to watch them crest the ridge. We perused them and after about a 1 mile of track we figured they were gone. We turned around over looking a wide draw with cliffs on the other side so I decide range it for fun. The cliffs were 400yds out. As I turned to walk back the truck my buddy opened fire. I turn to see 2 yote up and to the right of the cliffs. I dropped to my knees set up the bi pod dial the awesome scope. I lead the yote by about 2 to 1 1/2 feet and shot. I hit him he dropped only to get back up and run. I went over to see if I got him good. I found that he was hit good but not good enough I tracked him for about another mile but didn't find him. Where the yote was standing when he was hit was 100 yds past the cliff making it a 500yrd quartering away shot. It was all the rifle and scope. I can't say enough about the nikon m223 for an AR.
I have to say now I need to build myself any AR they are easy to build and crazy accurate.

The Pic here is a little pup the I howled in around 2 in the afternoon. This AR blew his mind out:D.
Rachelsrifle1styote.jpg

Pretty good Nitro. Love the AR's myself. I see you're carrying these dogs for skinning purposes i presume. I also have to carry them aways sometimes, and got an old camera strap at a garage sale and added some ribbon strap--

IMG_0239-1.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea on the strap. I will have to try that, the 550 cord cuts the shoulder after a while. This year because that will be the only time to get to hunt the yotes I was just taking it back for picks and bragging to my hunting partner who was sitting at the truck:D

I'm waiting on an upper from DPMS. 20" barrel with an 8 twist. I've been leaning towards the M 223 , but havn't had one in my hands yet. Is it a ranging reticle or a ballistic reticle? The reason i'm asking is i've got to drive about 100 miles to a Cabelas to get to look at one.

YouTube - New M-223 Nikon Riflescope

That link there shows the two different options Nikon has for the M223. You can either get the BDC reticle or the Nikoplex and dial in adjustments. I have one with the Nikoplex, as for me the BDC reticle was just too "busy" with the small hashes and circles for prairie dogs, and most of my coyote guns double as prairie dogs.
Either way, I also have Leupold VXIII's and I love them of course, but to be honest, the glass on the Nikon is fantastic, both Nikons I have, have held zero with no issues. I have hunted the past few nights under poor to ok light and couldnt believe how well the glass worked in the dark.
For the money, it is hard to beat. I have paid a lot more for other scopes, and I am not so sure I got a lot more when I did.
Mark

Thanks for the reviews on the Nikon scopes. As a lifelong Leupold fan, I need to check them out. I've heard a lot of good things about them. Are they pretty true in their elev/windage adjustments? I had a Bushnell Elite 6500 that I tried because the magnification range was ideal. But, I just never cared for the inaccurate adjustments on mine. It made it a pain to sight in. I ended up selling it and went back to Leupold.

Handy coyote carrier, Mark. Timber Butte Outdoors makesa commercial model. Here's a link to them on my website. NO OFF SEASON - TBO Two Loop Game Carrier

There's also a four loop carrier. NO OFF SEASON - TBO Four Loop Game Carrier

Thanks for the tip, 1984nitro. I'm thinking my wife might need a new rifle build as well....lightbulb

I have only shot this one out to 350, and each time it was bucking some serious wind, but, at 300 it was nearly perfect, and 350 I (think) it was just a hair low to what it should have been, but in that wind, who knows?

I love my Leupolds, but, for the money, it is hard to beat that Nikon. I wonder though if Nikon uses hunters at all when they design stuff. I don't care for the little circles as aim points. They are fine for coyotes, but, for praire dogs, they just cover to much for my liking.

I (and I know this would jack up the cost) would like to see them go to a 30mm tube instead of the inch.
Other than that, I have a pair of Nikons and the glass is great, and they hold zero well. I cant complain. I have spent much more on a scope and gotten much less.
Mark

Just put the Nikon Encore BDC reticle 2.5-8x on top of a buddy's Sav. Striker 22-250 and zeroed it at 225. Calcd. all the stadia ranges (windage too) and tested it (sort of) on a coyote couple days ago--lost him though. Didn't have much time for the shot--about 4 seconds but at least hit him at ~375 off a tall bipod and stadium seat. The rancher wants all these mange dogs dead, and he's happy with any hit...

IMG_1156.jpg

Reticles_BDC_Encore-1.jpg

I love nikon for the price also I have two buckmaster on a 270 and no 220 swift. As for the m-223 I have only had time to shot it a little other than on the coyote. I was using hornday ammo at 3240fps out of 24" barrel. The wifes ar is 20" barrel. I haven't chrono'd it yet but need to. I was able to hit a propane tank out to 600 with turret adjustment. I am looking now for a load for a 55gr vmax to 3240 out a 20" barrel to better match the ballistics of the scope. But I have to say it makes it much better to have this scope then to have a ballistic table to carry around as I do for my rifles.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm still deciding on other optics for my product lines. I'm only carrying products that I can vouch for but if I have enough solid feedback, I may get a demo sample or two and give them some testing. Not sure if I missed it but how is the Coyote Special scope? WHere does the quality lie compared to the rest of their line?

Thanks again.

tt

I have used Leupold for years as that is what my father used. I have started coyote hunting and tried out Nikon. I mounted a Coyote Special to my AR and thus far it has worked like a dream. I am impressed with Nikon. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
Still like my Leupold's though!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.