Wife's new 7mm-08... Bullet recommendation

Nikolakangrga

My wife is just getting into hunting and I've decided it was time to get her a rifle she can call her own. We decided on a

Tikka t3 lite
7mm-08
Bell and Carlson stock
Trijicon Accupoint (crosshair with dot)

Her shots will be within 0-300 yards TOPS. 99% of all shots will be within 150 yards. I would like to load up one bullet she can rely on for blacktail deer, hogs (50lbs - 350lbs) and black bear.

I will stress shot placement and PRACTICE to her but would also like a bullet which will reliably do the job on all three game animals with a behind the shoulder shot. I have never been big on shoulder shots due to meat loss.

I was thinking about trying the 120gr ttsx but I'm not sure if they would be reliable without hitting heavy bone. Losing a deer or any animal happens to all of us atleast once but I would like to reduce the chance of failure for my wife as I want hunting to be a happy positive experience for her.

Thanks all for your input
Nick

I shoot the 139gr sst from hornady for deer . I've killed north of a hundred of them up to @ 225lbs and all I did my part on were drt. The 145 gr btsp from speer works well also and is a good bit tougher for bear and large hogs. They both perform well in the 7-08 velocity range and are inexpensive to shoot. The barnes bullets are work around for a bad california law and way over priced. Barnes bullets are poor performance and high cost , the worst combo. The nosler bt is no better bullet than the sst but cost half again as much. I don't have bear where I hunt but plenty of hogs. If you don't try to shoot a boar through the shields the 139gr sst will do the job all day , through the shields you better bring a cannon.

Indifference to the Bear and Pigs I'd look at Bonded bullets, or partition type bullets, in the 150 - 160 gr range. 300 yrds is pretty short so you wont need to worry about retained energy or velocity so much.

The 120 TTSX is a good choice for a light weight rifle inside of 300 yds.

You should get plenty of impact velocity for proper bullet expansion without the recoil/torque of the heavier bullets.

-- richard

Lead Free area... 7-08 inside 300 with tough game up to 350lbs, to me spells Nosler 150 E-Tip. Lead Free with LOTS of smack down. But I guess it should come down to what the rifle shoots best. Personally, whatever lead free bullet you start with I would try to stay above 140 grains if bear and pig are on the menu. If its not lead free, go 150-160 Partition like the others have said.

Thanks guys,
The area's in California we hunt do not have the lead free banned. We are able to shoot whatever we would like.

Would the 150-160 partitions reliably expand with a behind the shoulder lung shot on a small blacktail deer? Would the 140gr accubond be a better choice if looking for expansion?

when I shot the 7mm08, all I shot was the 139 Hornady BTSP always stopped deer cold. Good bullet and cheap to shoot along w/ Varget powder.

I shot three elk last year with the 168gr. Berger HVLD. One dropped in it's tracks, one went 5 steps, and one went 8 steps! All were shot behind the shoulder from 250 - 300 yds. After that I will defenitely be using them again this year. This was out of a 7mm RM but with the 150's you should still be pretty good and closer in speed.
Another one I have been thinking about for bears and elk in the brush, is the Speer Deep Curl 160 gr. they claim 95% weight retention, slightly rounded nose should open up well and penetrate like crazy with that weight retention, and the best part, they are pretty **** cheap! Could be a great 300yd. and in bullet on just about anything.

Thanks guys,
The area's in California we hunt do not have the lead free banned. We are able to shoot whatever we would like.

Would the 150-160 partitions reliably expand with a behind the shoulder lung shot on a small blacktail deer? Would the 140gr accubond be a better choice if looking for expansion?

Yes. I shot a small whitetail does last year with my 270 at 400yrds, I use 150gr partitions in that, with a muzzle vel of 2750. She dropped in her tracks, I hit the edge of one rib.

My wife shoots the same rifle and has taken nice Whitetails in Texas with the 140 grain Berger Hunting VLD and the Sierra 150 grain Game King.

Ok thanks guys...
So I think I'm down to these choices:

140gr Berger vld
150gr partition
140gr accubond

Of those 3, which would you feel most comfortable with on blacktail deer, hogs, and Black bear?
All behind the shoulder shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.