Wifes first buck, Oregon Coast range

CodyH

Saturday consisted of 33 blacktails seen with only 2 being spikes, no legal shooters. We went to a new area Sunday (my wifes 25th birthday) about midday and while driving down a canyon, my wife pointed out about a ten yr old clearcut and told me that was where we would find her first buck. Within ten minutes of glassing i found this 4X4 in his bed at 385 yds across the canyon. Got her setup and she would get ready to shoot, then stop, put the safety on and tell me she wasnt steady enough. Over about ten minutes of trying to get steady she did this several times which impressed me with her patience. Once she said ok, as i heard the rifle go off the buck flopped over in his bed and kicked a couple times then did a death bail down the hill! we had about a half mile hike to get to him and i hiked up to drag him down to the creek bottom for pictures. I could tell glassing that he was a decent buck and she later told me she thought it was a big forked horn, she still cant believe her first buck is a 4x4! Was a hunt i will never forget and better seeing her get him than any deer i have ever gotten. We were in the southern coast range.

Attachments

• IMG956094.jpg
    IMG956094.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 145
I hope he will at some point. Hes just over 5 mos old now and he was just along for the ride and did get his first quail sunday as well.

Tikka t3 7 mag with a Leupold vx3 4.5-14 and a turret from kenton ind. shooting 160 gr. barnes tsx. it is now the wifes gun i keep getting told. She does very well out to about 800 with it.

THAT'S OUTSTANDING!!!! Please pass on a congrats to your wife. It's always refreshing to see more women, and kids, enjoying our sport. Besides, it's a lot easier to spend money on an activity that you both enjoy. Adding meat to the freezer is an added bonus. Again, congrats to both of you.

Congrats on the wife's buck. Now just think, it's her gun now, means you get to get yourself a new one. It's only fair. :D

Excellent buck and congrats to your wife! Im still trying to convince mine that not all deer are bambi/ his mom and dad. Got her to go a couple times but she turned a little green around the gills when I pulled up with an old doe and began to clean her in the front yard! LOL. But honestly that's a good lookin black tail and it sounds like a great story for your wife and you to share for years to come.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.