Why you need to lube your case necks if you use an ultrasonic cleaner or STM

That brought a grin to my face - good one. It also got me to thinking on something I have never done. Has anyone ever lubed the base of the bullets rather than the ID of the neck? If so - what did you find?

With mica on my fingers on the bearing surface.

I like to anneal after every firing and i dont think it is a good idea to anneal dirty case necks. So i ultrasonic clean to remove the most i can.
So you ultrasonically clean, anneal, and lube neck insides every time.
Someone should say, you're complicating things.

You don't have to lube inside fired necks
You don't have to ultrasonic clean cases
You don't have to ultrasonic clean cases to anneal
You don't have to anneal every time

Just trying to help. I think you should run a test with uncleaned, unannealed necks.
Might work out well, save efforts & reduce variances.

So i ultrasonic clean to remove the most I can.
I've given up ultra sonic cleaning. Not convinced that it improves anything, functionally. Makes the brass look nice, but other than that it's a lot of extra work and it adds another variable - squeaky clean case necks which change bullet seating force.

I don't know of any reason why necks need ultrasonic cleaning prior to annealing. Curious - have you read that this as a recommended practice for accuracy related purposes?

Didn't mean to pile on. It would appear that Mikecr and I were typing at the same time.

If i can skip ultrasonic cleaning and still anneal, then i will defiantly skip it. I thought the necks had to be nice and clean before you anneal them. Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.