Why the mad dash on reloading supplies?

I was in Gander Mountain today to buy a new plinking pistol. The guy in front of me had just bought a shopping cart full of their entire stock of 9mm ammo. The 45 white box has almost doubled in price.
Gordon

The doubling in price is caused by all the people that have no clue on what the proposed ban covers. They seem to think the politicians are out to ban everything. If people would just relax and read up on the issue they would see that they are acting crazy and causing problems for all of us in the way of price gouging and depleted inventory.

Do not take offense to my statement but I also replenished my supplies because I did not want to be in your shoes. Call me uneducated on the issues at hand, but I have what I need for one year of shooting with the exception of 230gr 308 Bergers, which will be here soon.

Good luck on your end of the battle
Hank

No offense taken.

I hate it, and can't wait for people to calm down and the shelves get filled back up. I've been wanting to go do some target practice but haven't because I don't want to use up what I have not knowing if I'll be able to replenish my supplies.

BTW I've been in the Lexington Sportsmans and it's been bare since the election. Was the same in 2008, but after the school shooting it got worse.

Why the mad dash on reloading supplies? ... Perhaps some folk suspect our gobbermint is our worst enemy?

Why would anyone think THAT? BO and Joe have assured us all they want is to add a few 'common sense' laws because our current laws don't seem to be controlling firearms crimes - you know, like the excellant way our current laws against murder, rape, thieft, drunk driving, school teachers screwing kids, illegal drugs, illegal immigration, robbery, mugging, etc keep things to a tiny few incidents.

So, we can all rest easy that when gobbermint passes enough gun laws to control gun crime they won't pass any more. Well, except maybe a few common sense laws to restrict who can have - or reload - some specific types of ammo; probably something as simple as outlawing shotshells, handgun or rifle ammo that eject projecticles with a muzzle velocity in excess of 30 fps... just to keep our little kids reasonably safe, you know? I mean from any danger except union school teachers.

Well I ain't worried about BO. He can't ban a weapon with executive order. He needs Congress and most politicos don't think a ban will pass. As far as restrictions on who can buy, well if you can't pass a background check then you probably shouldn't be buying a gun anyway.

This mad dash is tickin me off and I wish people would relax so I can get my **** supplies. Got a brand new TRG 42 on Thursday and I can't get supplies for loads.

My issue is this.

Reloading, safe reloading is an exacting science, most of us on here kow that. With all the folks buying firearms and some not knowing which end of a cartridge goes where, there is bound to be some serious accidents caused by lack of knowledge. That brings me to reloading.

These folks have a learning curve to ascend and hopefully, the new reloaders don't get hurt, or worse.

I don't see a big run on the components I use but then I have plenty of supplies so I'm not in the market and I don't go out and shoot willy-nilly either plus in anticipation of any impending shortage, I loaded several thousand rounds of the calibers I ignite the most. Always good to lay in a supply prior to rather than after.....

Those 50 cal ammo cans I have aren't empty by a long shot.....

I know guys who go to the range and blow of a hundred or so rounds. Not me. I sight them in and put them away.

My good friend owns a gun shop and he's told me a couple times that he has people coming in that never owned a firearm before, buying them. The lack of factory ammo will lead to reloading but not without consequences I'm afraid.

Well I ain't worried about BO. He can't ban a weapon with executive order. He needs Congress and most politicos don't think a ban will pass. As far as restrictions on who can buy, well if you can't pass a background check then you probably shouldn't be buying a gun anyway.

This mad dash is tickin me off and I wish people would relax so I can get my **** supplies. Got a brand new TRG 42 on Thursday and I can't get supplies for loads.
I hear ya, my local spots didnt have ANY rifle primers, about 10 LBS of powder, and about 40 rounds of 223 ammo, and they are the "warehouse" for the entire company (runnings farm and fleet). I had to go to the next largest town 100 miles away to get 2 lbs of powder and 1000 fed primers.

I have no fear of a ban on powder and primers.

Please don't take offense but the way things are lately they may as well be banned. You can't get any of the stuff if you want to.

I've got a multi year supply of everything but I have to replenish if I actually use the rifles much. 5 K loaded and another 5 K components only goes so far. And it doesn't matter if you can recover lead and cast your own pills if you can't get brass or make 'em go bang.

Barnesuser 28-- pm me if you need anything and I'll try to point you in the right direction if you get to BIS.. Dickinson doesn't have a heck of a lot for gun stuff.

Please don't take offense but the way things are lately they may as well be banned. You can't get any of the stuff if you want to.

I've got a multi year supply of everything but I have to replenish if I actually use the rifles much. 5 K loaded and another 5 K components only goes so far. And it doesn't matter if you can recover lead and cast your own pills if you can't get brass or make 'em go bang.

Barnesuser 28-- pm me if you need anything and I'll try to point you in the right direction if you get to BIS.. Dickinson doesn't have a heck of a lot for gun stuff.
Lefty7mmstw, i think i am pretty good on supplies for now but i will check tomorrow and see if i need anything. I will be in Bis on the 29th for orthodontists appointments grrr, i am also going to drop my rifle off at the smith in Center since we will be near.

Lefty7mmstw, i think i am pretty good on supplies for now but i will check tomorrow and see if i need anything. I will be in Bis on the 29th for orthodontists appointments grrr, i am also going to drop my rifle off at the smith in Center since we will be near.

' Smith in Center???-- the in-law's are in Center-- I get up there every couple of months; I didn't know they had a good gunsmith there.....

Just a side note relative to the angry shoppers that think this shortage needs blamed on everyone but them..... I for one, Am glad to see people buying, I am glad to see people not previously engaged jumping in (hopefully with a proper amount of respect). I am glad to see my local shop who has bean sitting on a truck load of inventory for a long time "getting some action, and Profiting". Glad to see people in the sport stocking up and getting ahead of the curve. Glad some people are not waiting until there on the ropes to worry about it.............. Right now as of january 2013: Semi auto rifle interests are running late and paying the price, Reloaders stocking up are trying to beat the next curve and buy some guarantees. The primer shortage a year or so ago should of freaked out anyone that cares and after it resided they should have learned to stay ahead of them selves. Just My opinion but I can't understand folks that are angry they are late to the party when they could have come earlier if they wanted a better seat. No point complaining about it now, Do what you can for now and remember this moment, when things settle down: Capitalize on it and get ahead of your needs.

What you say is POSSIBLE...but if it comes about....I bet it doesnt last more than 4 years...if you get my drift.

Things change quickly when laws are passed by presidential decree...and we only have 4 years to hold our breaths!

' Smith in Center???-- the in-law's are in Center-- I get up there every couple of months; I didn't know they had a good gunsmith there.....
Good gunsmith, hes one of the best in the country!! Nate Dagley from SSG Straight Shot Gunsmithing 308nate on here, his true bore alignment system is highly esteemed. PM if you want, so we dont hijack this thread.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.