fishrdie

I have a savage: Savage Arms
in a 22-250 with a rate of twist 12.

shot a Barnes Varminator:
40 GR
length: .607
S.D: .114
B.C.: .153

I seated the bullet to a depth of 2.400'"on top of VARGET at 37.5 grains of powder for a velocity 3936 (according to load data used on hodgon's website.

The distance was hundred yards, with little to no wind. As you can see the grouping is pretty good...wish I could cover it with a dime instead of a nickle.

What has me puzzled is I shot a 36 bullet and it was NOT pulling hard right like the 40 gr did. Forgot to mention I shoot left handed, not right. I really don't want to adjust my scope to bring that 40 grain bullet back a full inch and a quarter to center. Since that recipe is at a starting load (37.5 grains) if I sped it up a little more, going in half grain increments, would that round come back to center?

Attachments

• IMG_20131023_171632500.jpg
    IMG_20131023_171632500.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Different weight and kinds of bullets will hit differently out of your gun. One weight will hit dead center and one will be 2 inches away or more.

This is normal. You could play around with your load, but I probably wouldn't mess with that. Odds are it won't get the two close enough to be useful.

Make a notation how many clicks to adjust between bullets when you swap. Keep track of which way you go, because some day you WILL forget when it's been 9 months since you last touched the rifle.

Totally agree with the posters above. Different bullets tend to group up differently, even on the horizontal. If you are going to switch between these two bullets, keep good notes (nothing like dialing left for the bullet that hits center to answer a p-dogs prayers!)

Everything effects the point of impact. Weight, shape, BC of the bullet. I have done testing changing only the brand of bullet. The weight, depth, charge, everything else the same. And after shooting 3-4 brands the overall group is sometimes 6" or more. Each brand usually groups well, just not in he same spot as the others

I believe the horizontal shift is the difference in barrel harmonics, and nothing more. Nothing you can do about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.