Why keep both eyes open?

tlk

What is the purpose/advantage of keeping both eyes open when using a scope?

Last edited:

Only advantage or purpose I've ever noticed is not straining your dominate eye and causing you to have a very bad headache. That's only if you shoot for an extended amount of time.

This is just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

-Nathan

Most people close one eye when shooting at stationary objects from habit because it
seems to help them concentrate better.

But on running targets/game It helps to keep both eyes open because you can acquire
an object faster and if you have good shooting skills it will automatically find the aiming
point.

J E CUSTOM

For stationary shooting I keep both eyes open as I set up for the shot. As I go through my breathing routine, as soon as I'm getting close to breaking the shot, I close one eye only leaving the dominant eye open for the final part of the shot. This helps me take my time for the shot without adding any eye strain.

Depth of field is better. The scope will when focused will supercede any dominance problem. If your left eyed/right handed jus a small smudge on your glasses will help with the dominance problem as well

Shooting with both eyes open has always been more natural and comfortable for me. Like some have mentioned, closing just one eye imposes some strain and it limits your big picture. I dont see any advantage to closing one eye and for me it's just plain more difficult.

-Mark

I keep both eyes open when shooting any weapon, scoped , or iron sight. While binocular vision is a good thing I like the fact my peripheral vision is available to me. Your ability to catch movement is much keener with both eyes open when shooting. By holding both open in the field you can spot critters moving on your 'blind' side. It does come in handy.

I keep one eye closed, not tight but naturally closed, helps to reduce strain and fatigue which doesn't help my accuracy.

Last edited:
1. Better depth perception
2. Less strain on one eye
3. See the big picture with both eyes open
4. Follow thru seems be easier
5. anticipate obstacles in the woods
6. takes less effort to shoot accurately with both eyes

My $.o2 worth

1. Better depth perception
2. Less strain on one eye
3. See the big picture with both eyes open
4. Follow thru seems be easier
5. anticipate obstacles in the woods
6. takes less effort to shoot accurately with both eyes

My $.o2 worth

How do you see the bigger picture with both eyes? When I do it, I have seven kinds of hades tying to keep the "scope eye" focused in on the target. It all goes south when I open both eyes. Is it a training issue or something?

How do you see the bigger picture with both eyes? When I do it, I have seven kinds of hades tying to keep the "scope eye" focused in on the target. It all goes south when I open both eyes. Is it a training issue or something?

That sounds like a dominant eye issue. You shouldn't have any problem looking through a scope with your dominant eye, with both eyes open. Have you ever checked which is your dominant eye?

Probably the easiest way to do that is to look at an object maybe 20 ft away and then cover one eye with your hand leaving it open and focus on the object with the uncovered eye for a few seconds. Then uncover the eye so you are looking at the object with both eyes again. When you cover your non-dominant eye and then uncover it, there will be little readjustment to focus back to sterio vison. When you cover your dominat eye and then uncover it, you will see two distinct images of the object that will come back together into focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.