Why keep both eyes open?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by tlk, Feb 10, 2010.

1. tlk

tlk Well-Known Member

What is the purpose/advantage of keeping both eyes open when using a scope?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Only advantage or purpose I've ever noticed is not straining your dominate eye and causing you to have a very bad headache. That's only if you shoot for an extended amount of time.

This is just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

-Nathan

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Most people close one eye when shooting at stationary objects from habit because it
    seems to help them concentrate better.

But on running targets/game It helps to keep both eyes open because you can acquire
    an object faster and if you have good shooting skills it will automatically find the aiming
    point.

J E CUSTOM

4. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

For stationary shooting I keep both eyes open as I set up for the shot. As I go through my breathing routine, as soon as I'm getting close to breaking the shot, I close one eye only leaving the dominant eye open for the final part of the shot. This helps me take my time for the shot without adding any eye strain.

5. RBetts

RBetts Well-Known Member

Depth of field is better. The scope will when focused will supercede any dominance problem. If your left eyed/right handed jus a small smudge on your glasses will help with the dominance problem as well

6. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Shooting with both eyes open has always been more natural and comfortable for me. Like some have mentioned, closing just one eye imposes some strain and it limits your big picture. I dont see any advantage to closing one eye and for me it's just plain more difficult.

-Mark

7. nwcp

nwcp Active Member

I keep both eyes open when shooting any weapon, scoped , or iron sight. While binocular vision is a good thing I like the fact my peripheral vision is available to me. Your ability to catch movement is much keener with both eyes open when shooting. By holding both open in the field you can spot critters moving on your 'blind' side. It does come in handy.

8. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

I keep one eye closed, not tight but naturally closed, helps to reduce strain and fatigue which doesn't help my accuracy.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. 21buck

21buck Well-Known Member

1. Better depth perception
    2. Less strain on one eye
    3. See the big picture with both eyes open
    4. Follow thru seems be easier
    5. anticipate obstacles in the woods
    6. takes less effort to shoot accurately with both eyes

My $.o2 worth

10. 21buck

21buck Well-Known Member

1. Better depth perception
    2. Less strain on one eye
    3. See the big picture with both eyes open
    4. Follow thru seems be easier
    5. anticipate obstacles in the woods
    6. takes less effort to shoot accurately with both eyes

My $.o2 worth

11. tlk

tlk Well-Known Member

How do you see the bigger picture with both eyes? When I do it, I have seven kinds of hades tying to keep the "scope eye" focused in on the target. It all goes south when I open both eyes. Is it a training issue or something?

12. MontanaRifleman

That sounds like a dominant eye issue. You shouldn't have any problem looking through a scope with your dominant eye, with both eyes open. Have you ever checked which is your dominant eye?

13. tlk

tlk Well-Known Member

Montana, how would I go about finding that out?

14. MontanaRifleman

Probably the easiest way to do that is to look at an object maybe 20 ft away and then cover one eye with your hand leaving it open and focus on the object with the uncovered eye for a few seconds. Then uncover the eye so you are looking at the object with both eyes again. When you cover your non-dominant eye and then uncover it, there will be little readjustment to focus back to sterio vison. When you cover your dominat eye and then uncover it, you will see two distinct images of the object that will come back together into focus.