Why isn't anyone useing the SIII SIGHTRON 6-24x50 side focus

Re: Why isn\'t anyone useing the SIII SIGHTRON 6-24x50 side focus

Reed;
I look forward to testing the scopes. I will have several 338 snipe-tac rifles for testing. I am building two ultra light single shots for long range hunting in Wyo. Ultra light, well maybe for this round anyway. We are trying to hit the sub 11# range. Ti action, carbon bbl and stock. I just finished a all stainless barreled action with carbon stock, it came in at 13.25# with the above materials i should be able to shave off at least 3.5#.

Dave

I can't build a 22 dasher under 11 lbs, let alone a fire breathing monster like that. A good tank style break will be a must on that rifle. With a ti action and carbon fiber barrel with a 338 -408 tac improved is about the most advnced long range big boomer a man can build. I'm sure it will work out. Keep in touch

Reed,
Maybe i should rename my 338 rifle, ***338 FBM*** (fire breathing monster) I like that!

Dave

Sightron replaced my scope with a new one. With no hassle at all. They had a shipment of bad glass, from what i understand. My new is very clear, adjustiments very good, and side focus workds great. I don't think there is a better scope for the money. I am very happy know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm kind of curious how a bad shipment of glass ever got past quality control? Did they send out or publish a recall anywhere so everyone affected could get a new scope? If it was just bad glass why didn't they simply fix it? Aren't Sightron's serviceable? It sounds like a lot of bad scopes were shipped and they are only fixing the ones where people are complaining.

[ QUOTE ]
Reed,
Maybe i should rename my 338 rifle, ***338 FBM*** (fire breathing monster) I like that!

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite!

I checked with MidSouth, and they plan on investigating/feeling Sightron out this fall. They may become another stocking vendor for Sightron's products. I am waiting to hear back from them to see if and how much.

SIII SIGHTRON 6-24x50mm Mil-dot side focus

I'm using it. Best scope on the market for the money in my opinion. Better than some that cost much more. The second generation SIIIs have better glass than the first, from what I've read. The glass is outstanding in the second generation SIIIs. I'm done with 2 lb scopes for pack hunting. I've got two that weight 29 oz and that's too much for me. I hope they expand their line of reticle offerings, and I'd like to see a 4-16X power range. But I can't continue to wait so my order is in for another SIII 6-24x50mm Mil-dot reticle.

Hi guys, Newb here, just trying to learn more about scopes for a future purchase. I heard somewhere the sightrons clicks are way different than most other scopes, is this true and is it a problem?

The SIII clicks are advertised as 0.250"/click at 100yds. Mine are 0.273"/click at 100 yds. The turrets are covered with metal caps which unscrew like lots of other scopes. I don't know of anything way different about the SIII clicks from other scopes.

I recently determined the actual vertical turret movement value in all three of my Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm scopes. Two have the Mildot reticle and one has the relatively recent 2-MOA reticle.

Here's what I determined:

The 2MOA reticle scope has a 0.12% error (excess reticle movement). This equals a Click Value of 0.2621"/Click @ 100yds.
1st Mildot reticle scope has a 4.92% error (excess reticle movement). This equals a Click Value of 0.2747"/Click @ 100yds.
2nd Mildot reticle scope has a 6.84% error (excess reticle movement). This equals a Click Value of 0.2797"/Click @ 100yds.

So two of my SIIIs have vertical turret adjustments that are substantially greater than the advertised 0.25 MOA per click. 0.25 MOA is equal to 0.2618" @ 100yds. However all three track consistently and return to zero properly and consistently. They just adjust POI a bit more than their advertised per/click values.

Sightron SIIIs should be tested in order to determine the actual vertical turret values, if you're turning turrets to establish your zero for long range targets.

Last edited:
Some of the old posts that get resurrected are often because of relevant information,

I used the search function to get as much info on the Sightron SIII as I could, specifically the newer 6-24x50 2moa,

I ordered the scope from Liberty a day ago..

I am a Vortex user but chose the Sightron... because of the high praise here on LRH and other forums..
Hope all you guys didn't lead me astray...LOL

My question is ...

I also ordered a 40 moa Nightforce mount and will go with Nightforce Ultra Light rings, I want to keep the scope as low as possible, my barrel is a Rock Creek AMU contour on a REM700...

Will the medium work or do I need to go up one ?

I used the search function to get as much info on the Sightron SIII as I could, specifically the newer 6-24x50 2MOA,

My question is ...

I also ordered a 40 moa Nightforce mount and will go with Nightforce Ultra Light rings, I want to keep the scope as low as possible, my barrel is a Rock Creek AMU contour on a REM700...

Will the medium work or do I need to go up one ?

I've not used the Nightforce Ultra Light rings. What I can offer that might assist is that I use Seekins Precision 'Low' rings for all three of my SIII 6-24x50mm scopes. One of those is on a Rem 700 action. One on a Lawton 7000. One on a Tikka T3 Lite. The scopes' objective bells clear the barrels on all three of my rifles. I believe the Seekins Precision Low rings are 0.870" from the base that rests on the Picatinny rail to the centerline of the scope rings. That could be confirmed by visiting the Seekins web site. I can confirm some things tonight, like the diameter of my barrel, the height of my rings from the Picatinny base to the centerline, and where the objective bell of the SIII is located relative to the chamber portion of my barrels. Can send you a picture of my setup if you'd like. If you know the distance of the NightForce rings from Picatinney rail to centerline, and the size of your barrel versus mine, you should be able to get a pretty good idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts