Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Whatever you choose, search through the many anatomy lessons bigngreen has posted. If you choose to shoulder shoot or not, you need to first know where it is. A trip to the zoo, or glassing the various animals close to home is helpful. At this time of year the bones are showing pretty good. In the fall at peak of condition not so much.

very good advice!

dont get me wrong the 270 will kill them all deader than dead... just not as well as the 300+ or even the 7mm's I have killed tons of elk with a 7mm, just pick a good heavy well constructed bullet. for years and years the 270 and 30-06 were the main 2 calibers in the elk hunting woods
Thanks !

I just finished reading a Blog article about hunting Elk with a .270

Written by a guy named Dennis A Carroll
Montana Elk Hunting: 270 Winchester for Elk Hunting

It was a very interesting article.

Listen to TIKKAMIKE, as everything he's said on this thread is spot on. The .270 will do the job on those other animals with no problem with the proper bullet and placement of said bullet and it will on elk too, but as he mentioned, the bigger calibers are the way to go on elk if you can handle them.

It was also mentioned about Montana having a grizzly bear season in 2014. The grizzly won't even come up for delisting by the Feds under the ESA until 2014 and even if they are delisted it will probably be at least a year or two after that before any state would implement a hunting season on them. It definitely won't be as early as 2014 though, and willl be another huge hassle just like the wolf debacle in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.

Hmm could be that is what TY was talking about (delisting)
I do know one thing, there are a heck of a lot of Grizzly bears around this area.
I was fishing the Stillwater River last summer and had one sneak up on me to about 50 yds.
Lucky for me, yelling was enough to make him go the other way.

Don't buy into all this you gotta have a magnum to kill elk crap. Your guide friend is steering you right. The .270 is a fine elk rifle and you will find it relatively easy to shoot well. A magnum will recoil much more violently and be much more difficult to master. A magnum gives you extended range for elk, but unless your going to be shooting past 500 yards there is no need for one. The vast majority of western big game is taken under 200 yards.
Come on guys, telling a new shooter to start out with a magnum! Really!?

I hope you're carrying bear spray at all times when you're out if that's the case.

Well at that particular time I had no idea I was in such a wild country ;>}
I've lived in the city most of my life and being new to Montana, didn't even think about such things. I now know better and have a can of FRONTIERSMAN Brand Bear Spray which I carry whenever I go out, fishing or just walking.
I had a Park Ranger who works in Yellowstone recommend that brand. He told me, even though he carries a hand gun, it is way better to use the spray than a gun. He said, with a gun unless you have nerves of steel and are an expert shot, all you will do is **** the bear off even more. With the spray, more times than not you can get away without incident.

Well at that particular time I had no idea I was in such a wild country ;>}
I've lived in the city most of my life and being new to Montana, didn't even think about such things. I now know better and have a can of FRONTIERSMAN Brand Bear Spray which I carry whenever I go out, fishing or just walking.
I had a Park Ranger who works in Yellowstone recommend that brand. He told me, even though he carries a hand gun, it is way better to use the spray than a gun. He said, with a gun unless you have nerves of steel and are an expert shot, all you will do is **** the bear off even more. With the spray, more times than not you can get away without incident.

Hmm, bears do not always come at you from down wind. You ever spray that magic can into the wind? If that bear comes to kill you, and eat you, you will probably never have a chance to jerk your sort of protection. I prefer a shot gun with 00 buck in high probability encounter areas. A pistol at least, most times while hunting you do have a rifle handy. I am not a fan of the can! Back to topic a 270 is strong medicine within its range limit. And I am a fan of two holes in the chest!
Happy hunting

Hmm, bears do not always come at you from down wind. You ever spray that magic can into the wind? If that bear comes to kill you, and eat you, you will probably never have a chance to jerk your sort of protection. I prefer a shot gun with 00 buck in high probability encounter areas. A pistol at least, most times while hunting you do have a rifle handy. I am not a fan of the can! Back to topic a 270 is strong medicine within its range limit. And I am a fan of two holes in the chest!
Happy hunting

What wind?

windsock.jpg

back to the op. try to one shot kill an elk, put it thru the shoulders, get em down and then finish them off. i live in az and we have big elk out here and if you dont kill the front legs they will run forever. my 06 with 168 ttsx has always put em chin *** up.

I've not had the pleasure of hunting elk. I accompanied my Dad and Grandfather once but we didn't get one. I've always been taught on whitetails to shoot through both shoulders if broadside. It works well here. I've not had one take hardly a step after shooting through both shoulders. Of course, use enough gun. Also, elk are huge and totally different so I can't really say yea or nay but i will remember this info. Thanks!

I've not had the pleasure of hunting elk. I accompanied my Dad and Grandfather once but we didn't get one. I've always been taught on whitetails to shoot through both shoulders if broadside. It works well here. I've not had one take hardly a step after shooting through both shoulders. Of course, use enough gun. Also, elk are huge and totally different so I can't really say yea or nay but i will remember this info. Thanks!

*** There is absolutely no reason to shoot a deer through the shoulders and whoever told you that needs to rethink that message! Shoot them with the proper bullet right behind the front leg into that heart/lung area and it's a dead deer every time and they won't go far. The only reason for a shoulder shot is to take the animal down where it stands, which is not necessary a good part of the time unless you're in heavily hunted public land where someone else might take your animal if it isn't DRT.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.