Why I don't shoulder shoot elk!

Tikkamike---Again you are talking out your piehole because you have no idea what I have shot and your "everybody does it" on the shooting from the road is BS because it's still illegal! You were the one to come on here and respond to my post that was not asking you for a response, so don't preach to me about what the thread was about. Just because I live in MI doesn't mean I don't know a lot about Wyoming, in particular the area where you live. I was out in your area again for almost six weeks this season, shot a decent 4x4 and goat, and also helped a friend that drew a bull tag get a great 6x7 bull. Last year I helped a friend take one that scored 357 3/8" and could have shot both of them, but you are probably aware that you have to draw a tag for the area as a nonresident and they aren't easy to come by! Attached are pictures of those animals. I know you had a great year too-congrats, but don't think you are the greatest hunter on the website as there are a lot of us that have probably hunted for twice as long as you've been alive, LOL!

Attachments

• 2010 Trip 082.JPG
    2010 Trip 082.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 2011 Trip 078.JPG
    2011 Trip 078.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 2011 Trip 105.JPG
    2011 Trip 105.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 97
Guys,
Weather you agree with the bullet placement or not, I think its gone WAY off the deep end.
It started with great information. Good anatomy pics that just about anyone can bennifit from.
Just my opinion, but I'm certain I'm not alone.

Well what's legal And isn't illegal doesn't matter and is irrelevant. And no you didn't ask for my opinion but the Guy before you didn't ask for yours. But its an open forum And that's what you get. And just because you spent 6 weeks here this year doesn't mean you know the place. And just cause you were close enough to an elk to have shot it yourself doesn't mean anything. There's tons of elk here. And if your calling one of the bulls in those pics a 357" bull you need a new tape measure

Guys,
Weather you agree with the bullet placement or not, I think its gone WAY off the deep end.
It started with great information. Good anatomy pics that just about anyone can bennifit from.
Just my opinion, but I'm certain I'm not alone.

Well said. Sorry to the op for being a part of This going off subject. I like the pics they provoke thought. I have an elk to kill This weekend I'm gonna keep this in mind as I always shoot for shoulders. ...

SO if I am to understand your story correctly

You did not!! Likely my writing skills threw you of track so I'll give it an other run.

Bull was heading down hill and the shot was down hill but not super steep. The bull was not running full out but moving and at the shot the bullet going over his spine and breaking the top of a couple vertebra stunned him and his momentum caused him to endo. Quickly he was on his front end paddling down hill in the bottom and he was trying to get his back end under him and another shooter who was closer shot him in the neck. His spine was not broken hence the ability to move out again and to try to get his back end under himself, he was not mortally wounded as no vital organ had been permanently impacted and given enough time he may have fully recovered.
Three years ago my buddy took a cow that was moving fine and looked good but when we cut her she had been hit exactly the same and had healed up none the worse. She was missing the tops of two vertebra and had holes in the tips of the shoulders that had healed over.

The first shot was not all luck but there was a good share of it there, he lead correctly for speed and it was his first shot so some amount of skill was involved. Second shooter was closer and his skill level is high, that shot was not difficult and the elk was not always moving so there was time to pick the shot!!

As far as shooting running elk, some days I go elk hunting and if they are running or I don't have the shot I'm looking for they win the game, they played better that day and they live, other days it's about body count and putting pounds in the freezer and they better turn the afterburners on if they intend to live!! The areas I hunt if you don't learn to hit moving elk your going to be sitting on your thumbs till your needed to drag elk out :D

That wound is fairly common from that kind of bullet as it didn't hit anything very thick or hard just a flimsy area of a shoulder and some small bones on top of the spine. Cut a few hundred head of elk a year and you'll see it more than a few times!!

This wound did not result in an impact of the bullet to the spine, that's the point! You have to know your anatomy is my whole point and show guys just what it is that some think you need to shoot through to drop elk.

The bullet impacting the shoulder blade does nothing to the spine!! I've watched time after time guys try to shot an elk in the shoulder with the wrong bullet and the bullet piles up 100% of the available energy on that shoulder blade and the only thing it does to an elk is make it run on three legs. Myth Busters busted the whole bullet imparting knock down energy, they couldn't knock a stiff pig of a beam at point blank range with an pile of different rifles. Your bullet hits to small of an area to fast to impart enough movement to kill an animal.
Another example would be a moo cow, I've hit a cow so hard with a post in the shoulder that it made her take a step to the side and she did not drop dead. If shoot an elk it won't be pushed at all unless your shooting an extreme class of weapon.

The "Knuckle Head" has likely killed more elk than most have seen, this was a new bullet and it obviously did not work and it will not be used again. If he shot elk behind the shoulder most times it would be GTG but for shooting bone it has to much frontal area without much behind it. I frankly do NOT care what a bullet does on the off side it's what it does on the on side and the middle!!!

The second pic is of the one from the shoulder blade to the leg bone, I believe it's the Humerus in a human. The big joint forms the point of the shoulder and is hella hard to punch through consistently but you see people saying shoot them at the point of the shoulder.
The only reason I brought up and arrow is I ideally place my first shot the same place I would an arrow, that's it's only relevance to this thread. The thread title is a little miss leading, I will shoot an elk through the shoulder but now I really only take it when I need to as a follow up shot, did it this year and the bullet did great and blew through and smoked it but I had already put a lethal shot on it with a smaller cal.

I think I about covered it all, sorry for the broken nature of how it's written. Oh, almost forgot, I don't think elk are anything other than big, tasty vermin. I've seen them devastate whole hay crops that I worked my @ss of to raise and I shot them like vermin when I could and coyote sucks, tough and stringy and I'll put a bullet through him while running as well!!

Good post biggreen, don't let the "whip them out" contest ruin this post or continue to drag this site down.

TikkaMike---So now you're looking at a picture and telling me that first bull doesn't score what I stated? In other words, you're calling me a liar Mr. Expert!!! For your information Mr. AHole, that was the official score after the 60 day drying period and it was scored by the Cody taxidermist, Mr. James Marsico, who has animals in the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum, as well as a diorama of antelope in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC. !!! I think he more than knows how to tape and score a friggin elk with the numerous ones, along with all the other animals that come through his shop! You are turning into a complete jackass on this Forum and I'm done with you and would appreciate an apology on this last BS you just posted. That's probably asking too much from a know it all that you seem to have become though!

Hey BigGreen,
I have to respond AGAIN. You say that you have shot and cut up several elk. Reading all of this makes me sick. I am 51 years old and have cut elk and shot elk since I was 18. I have a B & C Bison in the book killed with a 25-06 shoulder/lung shot. Got him in the Henry Mountains in Utah in 1992. My first shot was about 50 yards. It did take 2 more to bring him down. Gotta love those 100 grain Partitions. I really don't believe the long shot story you are telling. This forum is a really friendly forum. You opened a large can of worms with your B.S.
Kirk

OK, so by closest count I've cut somewhere around 1800 ish head of elk and close to a hundred bison so ya I've cut taken apart a few elk. One local guy pops buff with a 243 through the heart, big deal! The point is that shot did not contact the spinal column and kill the bull, had it been a couple inches lower it would have done the trick, 8in lower and it would have gone under the spine blowing shards into the lungs, done deal. The first pic was more to help guys see that the shot should have been lower to connect with the goodies, the second pic is to show guys just how freaking big the shoulder joint is. What % will your 25-06 shoot through that joint and if it matters my first elk rifle was a 250-3000 and it did just fine, I'm not pushing big cal, cause I don't shoot them any more anyway I'm pushing better shot placement that fits the bullet your shooting!!!

What long shot story are you not believing, this isn't a long shot story it was only 350 yards. Or are you referring to my bull at 865 yards this year.

OK, it took me a long time to write that last post man this needs to cool down. A lot of good hunter do it different and debating and talking about it is cool but dang gunning each other in the gutts is a little weak and not to the point.

Cat

Well, I followed this thread to this gritty point. Obversations, about 14 post for boiler area, 4-5 where kinda fence riders, 3 including Tikkamike, shoulder shooter, but I think Tikka is like his Dads quote which is same elk school, my buddies and I WENT to "338" Which makes shot placement less critical, a Lapua is a great elk gun . I think a 338 has alot of E, mine still has 2500+ @ 850 yrds.

Hey BigGreen,
I have to respond AGAIN. You say that you have shot and cut up several elk. Reading all of this makes me sick. I am 51 years old and have cut elk and shot elk since I was 18. I have a B & C Bison in the book killed with a 25-06 shoulder/lung shot. Got him in the Henry Mountains in Utah in 1992. My first shot was about 50 yards. It did take 2 more to bring him down. Gotta love those 100 grain Partitions. I really don't believe the long shot story you are telling. This forum is a really friendly forum. You opened a large can of worms with your B.S.
Kirk

Hey Kirk,

Fact is Fact.

If you shoot an elk in the shoulder and don't
1) Break the shoulder (not just punch a hole).
2) Take out the lungs and/or heart.
3) Take out the spinal cord.
Then THEY CAN RUN FOREVER!!!

Taking Bison with shoulder shots with a 25-06, that's all I need to know about your acumen with regard to shot placement and cartridge selection.

A single shot into the heart with a 25-06 would be reasonable, but not a "shoulder/lung" shot.

There is a HUGE difference between trying to just punch right through big bones with questionable calibers and picking a specific spot that will avoid the big bones and take out the boiler room.

AJ

Well, I followed this thread to this gritty point. Obversations, about 14 post for boiler area, 4-5 where kinda fence riders, 3 including Tikkamike, shoulder shooter, but I think Tikka is like his Dads quote which is same elk school, my buddies and I WENT to "338" Which makes shot placement less critical, a Lapua is a great elk gun . I think a 338 has alot of E, mine still has 2500+ @ 850 yrds.

Glad someone's keeping a tally. We do tend to do things how the old man pounded it in our thick skulls :D

I missed out on a lot of the gritty stuff since I type like the second coming but I've gone rounds with some of the guys on this thread cause we do things different and have strong opinions on them but we should be able to respect each other enough to back down of the line and just agree to enjoy putting the smack down on some elk!!!!! Dad says "dead elk is dead elk" but it's fun to hash out how to get there!!

If anyone is interested I taped that shoulder blade and it's 18 in from tip to bottom of socket and the hole is about 4 in down it average.

Funny, but I was asking the person that made that post and not for your opinion. Yours doesn't surprise me at all when you have admitted violating the law shooting at them illegally right from your vehicle on roads! We'll forget about that one though because you already gave your excuse for that one! It might be easier to kill a coyote, but I guarantee you are way off base as far as hitting a small animal like that compared to a huge elk.

I'm with you TopGun. I think TikkaMike should repent of his sins and become a born again hunter. Killing innocent fawn killing coyotes from the road. Fire and brimstone is awaiting you my friend!

I will start off the repenting and maybe TikkaMike will follow suit. I speed all the time and have Jaywalked twice! I know..I know. I only hope that Len won't kick me off this site for admitting the Jaywalking part!

I'm own both sides of the fence because I use bullets and guns in the right caliber that will allow me to do both if I hit there.

Lots of different points of view but the beginning post was intelligent and well thought out and well illustrated with bones. I really liked reading it.

AS far as good statements made this one is my personal favorite

I've watched time after time guys try to shot an elk in the shoulder with the wrong bullet and the bullet piles up 100% of the available energy on that shoulder blade

In 1980 I made my first long range shot at a spike elk at 1100 yards with a 7mm Wby and as much 4350 as would fit in the case. Generally destroyed the case and a lot had case head separation on the first firing. :D Bullet of choice was the highest BC bullet available back then - Hornady 162 gr HP BT. That bullet had a thin jacket and a soft lead core and opened up if it even hit a flea on a hair. It had been a very dry fall and the elk were dusty so I saw the dust fly off the shoulder at the lower blade where it is thickest when the bullet landed. The elk didn't even limp when it ran off!!!! Lesson that was learned is don't shoot soft bullets into a elks shoulder bone unless you can actually break it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.