Why FFP versus SPF?

Engineering101, I agree with your assessment 100%.
I think FFP scopes, and manual transmissions, should simply go away. And with this, we can all focus on the future.

The future includes laser ranging and dialing.

young man dialing has been happening for over 50 years. and accurate rangefinders were used in ww1.

I wasn't trying to start a debate on FFP versus SFP. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing. It sounds like FFP or SFP is a matter of intended use, personal preference with a dash of experience thrown in for good measure. I am an old dog and I'm pretty sure that an FFP is a trick that I shouldn't be trying to learn. Thanks to you all for educating me. I'll stop wondering about FFPs now.

I have and use both. Kinda' nice to know how to manipulate 2nd focal plane reticles for downrange zeroing/rangefinding though especially with simple plex reticles in variable-powered scopes for friends who don't have special scopes/reticles/turrets for intermediate range shooting. It's kinda' rewarding when I turn a light on in someone's head on what can be accomplished with "lesser" std. equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.