Why don't you hear much about Browning on the forums?

KQguy

I have a browning A-bolt 300 win mag,and really like it.I was just curious why you hardly ever hear about them on discussion boards,are they not considered to ba an accurate gun?Are they not worth upgrading(aftermarket barrel,bedding etc.)?
Be honest,you won't hurt my feelings.LOL

Sporter weight rifles don't seem to cut the mustard for Loooonnnnngggg Range shooting or so most shooters think. I happen to agree.

I have a great shooting LRH gun in sporter weight and a great shooting rifle built especially for LRH. The configuration of the LRH rifle is just more consistent when shooting way out there.

Having said that there are plenty of LRH rifles that are pretty light. But again they are definitely not of the sporter configuration. Their weight is trimmed by special stocks and carbon wrapped barrels.

I have a browning A-bolt 300 win mag,and really like it.I was just curious why you hardly ever hear about them on discussion boards,are they not considered to ba an accurate gun?Are they not worth upgrading(aftermarket barrel,bedding etc.)?
Be honest,you won't hurt my feelings.LOL

The Browning A bolt with a BOSS system is actually one of the most accurate factory guns ever invented. Without a boss, they are a luck of the draw like any other gun. Some will shoot well easily and others won't without lots of work.

One reason why you don't hear much about them is because there aren't a lot of after-market options for customizing like there is for Remington. Also, you have fewer gunsmiths that will work on Brownings.

I have a bone-stock Browning A bolt II in a stainless stalker configuration with a BOSS that I have used to kill a myriad of elk with from 450 yards on out to near 1000 yards. The gun shoots 3/8" groups at 100 yards with my handloads. I would put it up against any other gun out there for accurate hits at long range custom or otherwise.

Sporter weight rifles don't seem to cut the mustard for Loooonnnnngggg Range shooting or so most shooters think. I happen to agree.

I have a great shooting long range hunting gun in sporter weight and a great shooting rifle built especially for long range hunting. The configuration of the long range hunting rifle is just more consistent when shooting way out there.

Having said that there are plenty of long range hunting rifles that are pretty light. But again they are definitely not of the sporter configuration. Their weight is trimmed by special stocks and carbon wrapped barrels.

Roy,
I am shocked at your post here! I guess you have forgotten the many stories on here from members about how well their sporter weight rifles shoot!? I have made many,many bone stock rifles shoot under 1 moa at 1000 yards and most of them have been sporter configurations. Supposing your rifle handling abilities while shooting are consistent and adapted to lightweight rifles, a sporter will and can shoot every bit as good at long range as a 15 pound, custom heavyweight. The difference is that the heavy barreled gun will shoot a higher number of shots accurately while the sporter gets hotter quicker and starts to "walk" bullets around. But for a 3 shot group in cold weather, the sporter can work great.

I mention this only to let the newer shooters know what can be done with sporter rifles.

Not to argue a point here but I personally wouldn't even buy a sporter weight rifle but I'm big framed and the extra weight doesn't bother me. My reasoning is that **** near every heavy barrel gun I've bought shoots tighter groups than my sporter weights. I don't know what it is but that's the way it's been for me.

Thanks for all the replies!At least I know there is hope for using my Browning for long range.I haven't had a chance to do any long range shooting with it yet,just load developement.
KQguy

I have heard that the browning stainless a-bolts are difficult to rebarrel due to the soft stainless used - apparently the threads in the reciever are very easy to damage, so many gunsmiths won't rebarrel them for fear of messing up someones rifle.

Not sure how much truth there is in this

I've also heard Brownings are very difficult to re-barrel, which really limits the appeal to precision shooters who may go through a barrel a year.

Don't know if that's true. Maybe a rifle-builder will chip in here with info on that?

Otherwise the Browning seems to be a fine looking rifle that tends to shoot well in factory form.

Thanks, Guy

Not known for good accuracy or resale plus my Smith who specializes in accuracy would not accept one into his shop. If you already have one and it shoots good don't give it a second thought..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts