Why do you reload cartridges?

In 1975 I bought a Lee Loader 30-06 Kit, a can of IMR 4064, box of primers, and 100 Speer 150gr. soft points , all for under $20. Probably luck, but I turned my old 2-3 MOA, old beater Model 70 using factory loads, into a sub MOA gem! Accuracy, low cost, and very rewarding. Still the case more than 35 years later.

PS Still have that Lee Loader....I think about it sometimes while I measure run out to .001", or weigh powder charges to .1 grains.

I do it because factory ammo isn't good enough and I want to shoot heavy VLD bullets. I like being able to taylor my loads for what I'm trying to do. And in a crazy way time spent on the reloading bench can make you a better shooter in general. working hard rolling your own pills makes you want to make the most of the fruit of your effort.

Because as I'v heard from some guys twice my age.

If you want it done right ya gotta do it your self.

But for long range constancy and accuracy.

Thats why I reload

I started out with the delusion that I would save money by reloading for my 257 WBY. What I found is that I spend that savings and them some buying more components and shooting more.

So I don't save all that much but I'm a much better shot because I practice a lot more and can tune loads for my rifles.

Its the chase... of perfection, versitility, accuracy, speed, consistency low cost, etc.
I have a 223 that shoots in the 0.3" @100yds with factory Hornady Superformance 53gr. What do I do? I go out buy the bullet and see if I can do better.

When was the last time you saw factory 264 WM with 100 grain varmint bullets (some people may remember this)?
When have you seen factory 25-06 with 75 grain V-max bullets?

I don't need the new cartridges that come out, because with hand loading I can use the old cartridges and wildcats to do what the new ones do.

If the truth shoulld ever leak out, the difference in accuracy between brand new cases handloaded with care and sizing fired cases some way ain't very much. Few folks will be able to tell the difference when they're fired in properly built rifles.

Well for some of my rifles the factory ammo sucks ( 220 swift 260 rem 35 whelen) and for the others I can load better for less money than factory ( 280 rem 300 wm 338 ultra and so on). Do I save any money? Hell no but I do shoot a lot more than 95% of the people at my club and I shoot smaller groups at longer ranges than 99% of them. Just thinking about it the last game animal I shot with factory ammo was about 20 years ago. There are some really good factory loads nowdays but I can pretty much equal them or better them with a bit of effort and time. If I was only shooting factory I would no be able to shoot nearly as much as I do and my skills would suffer greatly. Plus it gets the blessing from my wife cause I am not in the house when she is cleaning and such on the weekend.

Well for some of my rifles the factory ammo sucks ( 220 swift 260 rem 35 whelen) and for the others I can load better for less money than factory ( 280 rem 300 wm 338 ultra and so on). Do I save any money? Hell no but I do shoot a lot more than 95% of the people at my club and I shoot smaller groups at longer ranges than 99% of them. Just thinking about it the last game animal I shot with factory ammo was about 20 years ago. There are some really good factory loads nowdays but I can pretty much equal them or better them with a bit of effort and time. If I was only shooting factory I would no be able to shoot nearly as much as I do and my skills would suffer greatly. Plus it gets the blessing from my wife cause I am not in the house when she is cleaning and such on the weekend.

You, my friend, have a better wife than I had.

If the truth shoulld ever leak out, the difference in accuracy between brand new cases handloaded with care and sizing fired cases some way ain't very much. Few folks will be able to tell the difference when they're fired in properly built rifles.

I agree, but I have seen a difference in point of impact between new and sized in a few of my rifles.

I started because I wanted to use Partitions for hunting. It morphed into my buying other guns because I could load ammo for them which could not be bought.
See a nice gun, strange caliber, no problem, .300 rook, 32-30rem, 32-40win, 450-400NE. Just picked up a 300H&H, I can only buy 2 brands of factory rounds around here, but, I can load whatever 30cal bullet I want, or use cast bullets if I want. I have a .338WM, factory Fed Premium w/250 Partition was only 2440fps, took it to 2750. they advertised it @ 2660.:)

I agree, but I have seen a difference in point of impact between new and sized in a few of my rifles.
That oft times happens when neck only and full length sized cases. Anytime a case binds up in the chamber as the bolt's closed, the barreled action whips differently while the bullet's going down the barrel.

All the Above! I started hand loading with my Dad in the Early 70s then i got my own equpment in the early 80s. Finally a couple of years ago we bought a house with enough property and far enough out of town where i have a permant bench and a 300 yard range right out my reloading room door.gun) :D And i enjoy handloading now as much as i ever have.

Steve

I started reloading in the 80's as a result of getting a Lee press and kit as a gift. At the time reloading would have been more accurately described as a "re-filling process to feed my 03 Springfield, the Garand's and M1A's. Once the dies and powder measures were set, I don't recall ever touching them again. The exact same recipe was used for years. LR primers, H4895, 150FMJ and kept re-filling them until the cases split. Never had a problem and it wasn't until 10 or 12 years ago that I learned the load was relatively tame by comparison to what could have been loaded.

Throughout the past decade though as the price of ammo went through the roof and I got more involved my reloading went from an industrial process to more of the craft. Now my reloading is all about getting the most accuracy from the rifle – all while maintaining the ability to shoot without breaking the bank.

In the mid 2000's I started to load more for accuracy in my bolt guns. A friend is into benchrest shooting and I was watching the target through a spotting scope from behind the line one day and couldn't see most of the bullet strikes. Later, when the target was retrieved, I saw that each shot I didn't see was actually an X. Those I did see were 9's or 10's. If I remember right, the 10 ring was smaller than a dime and that has sort of become a benchmark for me.

We later compared my factory Rem700 in 6mm Rem with factory ammo to this BR gun. We shot the same target at the same distances and found that it was hard work to hold about 1 MOA with my 6mm. With no changes to the gun except tuning the trigger, my buddy was able to produce a load that would hold ¾ to ½ MOA out to 485 yds under good conditions. This marks the beginning of my reloading for precision. I later had the rifle rebarreled, squared and trued the action, along with a few other tricks and goodies. That gun would then shoot 1/4MOA at the same distance. My hunting guns still cannot keep up with Mike's BR guns but this may change soon. But I'll report that in another post soon.