• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Why are you selling your NightForce Scopes??

SBruce

I called them and they repaired it. I did test it and so far it does not leak.

Zupatum Matt Roth my one post count does not take into account I have been a member since june 2009. Why post BS like some do? Please let us not get into that I have xxx posts. Those people tend to just post to everything just to get their count higher. I tend to just read on this forum. If I would have known I would get called a liar for only having one post I would have posted some BS to a few other threads. I post under the same name on 6mmbr and nodakoutdoors. You posted only 217 since 2005 so it appears that you post when it is necessary for the most part.

As you can tell I am a little hot about my very expensive scope leaking. I am not one of those guys who can afford to run out and buy the next latest and greatest scope just because it is a little better than what I have. I bought this scope because many other long range shooter swear by NF. A few say US optics and the very expensive euro scopes are the way to go. It took a long time to get the cash for that scope when a person is paying that kind of price it is the little things that really matter. Like water proofing. Who would have ever though a NF would leak?

Very thoughtful reply to my questions. I apoligize for being skeptical, or if it came across like an ahole, but I have been on other forums where 1 post replies have been repeat offenders/trolls. Your concerns, with the detail you added, sound genuine.

I've talked with the guys at NF several times, and know how they want to try and make the best scope and provide the best customer service possible for not only their military customers, but every one else as well. They are interested in general in making things right and building the best scope around. It sucks that your scope had an issue--especially an $1800 scope! That's a lot of cabbage. I would think that nothing would ever get past them, but we all know that no business or person is perfect.

Just heard about a Marine with his NSX that went through multiple IED attacks and it didn't even lose zero--even after the tube was dented from one blast, much less lose it's Nitrogen/gas purge--still air tight. This example in no way detracts from the problem's you had with your scope.

Would be interesting to see what percentage of people had problems or not with what brand of scope they have had. For myself I won't buy another Bushnell Banner series again, or Simmons or Nikko Sterling...I'm sticking to Nikon Monarch, Leupold VX1, VX3, Mark IV and hopefully in the near future NF NSX (or next generation models). I'd consider a USO, but those are pricey as well.

If you still have quesitons or issues, I'd call the Quality/Customer service manager at NF and let him know your concerns (if you haven't already)...they are a professional bunch and I'm sure they'd want to know how they could get better and keep you as a customer.

All the best,

Matt

This thread belongs in the Optics section above, not "Optics for Sale". Check my new post in the Optics section regarding warning to NXS purchasers.

A good reason to sell them is they weigh twice as much as they need too,scopes half the price will do anything they will, and the glass in many scopes half the price are as good or better.. For military use I can see their advantage as they are as tough as all get out .For hunting and long range shooting I think most scopes are plenty tough enough.

A good reason to sell them is they weigh twice as much as they need too,scopes half the price will do anything they will, and the glass in many scopes half the price are as good or better.. For military use I can see their advantage as they are as tough as all get out .For hunting and long range shooting I think most scopes are plenty tough enough.

I tend to think they are more than just tough. Many many world class competition shooters are using them, and will not use anything else. They became popular among benchrest shooters many years ago. Alot of those guns don't ever see rugged use at all, not like alot of hunting rifles do.

I agree, they are heavy. I won't put one on my new 300 WSM build for that very reason.........too large and too heavy for that particular gun.

I am mounting one on the APS Raptor 338AX though, weight doesn't matter on that one; and actually, the more the gun weighs the better IMO.

Once again, does anyone know how long they've been made in Japan? Or what models are and which aren't? I am quite sure my first and original NF scope wasn't made in Japan but it was way before NXS models were made.

Last edited:
I called Nf and asked them that question. they are all made in orofino idaho per that conversation. they said that one or more parts come from other places and they had a good explanation as to why japan was printed on the scope tube but i cannot recall what that was!!! anyway,they did confirm that all scopes are built in orofino.

I sure love mine, and will be getting another very soon! its always a bummer to learn that even the best have thier problems. i have seen enough in use, in very bad weather that i am convinced this was a rare exception. i would have been very dissapointed as well.

i had my edge/nightforce in solid rain for several days this last season, and know of atleast 3 others out in the same conditions. all had no problems.

Couldn't have summed it up any better. I bought one years back before the NXS series came out and it lasted one day. Way too heavy, way too big, plus the fancy reticle was too confusing for a hunting scope. Can't say it wasn't and isn't well made and obviously serves many people very well but for my needs I prefer Swarovskis with the lighter tubes and brighter glass. Granted they're not cheap either but they do a great job. Until Nightforce designs more hunting style optics they're not in my plans.

Any and all manufacturers have issues from time to time. That's why they have the service centers and warranty programs. I had an issue with a Swarovski Z6 2-12 when they first came out. The POI moved one day while shooting and stayed where it went. Found out at the Dallas Safari Club show from talking to one of the reputable custom builders that he had quite a few do the same thing and after complaining and returning them Swarovski found the problem and corrected it. No company is perfect but we're all bad about getting a bad one and losing faith in the whole line.

Noted the comment about Zeiss here regarding changing reticles. As far as I am concerned they shot themselves in the foot the other year when I had a scope I wanted to change from the Duplex to the Ranging reticle and they flat out refused to do so. Said first they were too busy and after waiting about a year to let them catch up they said they wouldn't do it at all. In essence it was 'sell yours' and buy what you want. I have one Zeiss, like it a lot but probably won't have any more. Heard lots of good stuff about their service but even the attitude wasn't what you'd expect.

Im putting a NF on a 6mmx284 pistol and on a 338AX pistol. I sold off 2 Mark 4s not that much weight difference in scopes. The glass difference is quite noticable. Plus the retical choices.

I agree that at 200 yds not alot of difference but start streching out. NF, USO and some more make a big difference. I have shot the lower end scopes and by the grace of God starting to shoot some mid to upper end scopes.

I have had some Luepys come apart. I still buy them and probably will for a long time. Everybody has some bad ones get out. Its what they do with them that counts.:D

Sbruce

I do not know what is going on. I do know I was looking on their site and only on the first focal plane scopes does it say made in the USA. I got this from their site.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/ABOUT_US/about_us.html

From Idaho to the world.
Nightforce is headquartered in Orofino, Idaho. It may seem odd to find such a state-of-the-art facility in a small town, but it is an ideal location for intense testing of our riflescopes.
Nightforce was established in 1992 with one goal in mind: to build the finest riflescopes on the market. The same qualities that have made Nightforce the choice of professionals have now created a dedicating following among hunters and serious shooters.
Every single scope we sell is thoroughly inspected and tested by hand at our Idaho headquarters. Each is checked at 70 different points, and must pass a battery of tests that would, frankly, destroy a lesser-quality scope. When you receive your Nightforce, you can be assured that it is as close to absolutely perfect as is humanly possible.

After reading this it states nothing about being made in the USA just tested. My scope is a Japan model.

Blipelt

Yes they did fix my scope and not replaced. They said they have too much in these scopes to just replace them.

Lamiglas

If they were made in the USA they would be labeled made in the USA. Here is a webpage that explains that.
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard
With that being said the "about us" from above said nothing about being made in the USA just tested. I can see parts coming from other locations. That is nothing new. Glass is hard to make correctly. So I can see that being made off site.

I did a quick search for optical companies in Japan and there is many many of them.

I did have my rifle and scope out this weekend and it seems to be good as new.

The most important component of any optic or camera is the lens. Some of the best are made in Japan i.e., March for instance. Its my understanding that NF lens are made in Japan, and all components are assembled at the Idaho plant. Other than the lens, I don't have a clue where the other parts are made. I doubt any part is made in China.