Why are the Tikka's lacking aftermarket support

Tikka T3 Lites have a floating recoil lug that isn't attached to either the receiver or the stock. It just slides into matching slots. If rebarreling a T3 Lite, then perhaps the best way to convert from that lug is to run with a Rem 700-style lug screwed tight between the barrel and the action.

Shy of rebarreling, the T3 Lite recoil lug presents an impediment to placing the barreled action into any other aftermarket stocks. There are only a couple companies making after-market stocks for the T3 Lites, and they're pricey because of low volume production and sales.

In summary, I'd guess the T3 Lite recoil lug is the largest factor that has kept them out of the aftermarket limelight.

Fortunately, they shoot pretty darn well right out of the box. I've got two 7mm Rem Mags and one shoots well enough for 1000 yd hunting. The other is accuracy-limited to more like 750-800 yds. This is with finely tuned handloads. I don't know what they'd do with random factory loads. I've never shot a factory load out of either.

Last edited:

Fortunately, they shoot pretty darn well right out of the box. I've got two 7mm Rem Mags and one shoots well enough for 1000 yd hunting. The other is accuracy limited to more like 750-800 yds...
phorwath are you describing T3 Lites or Hunter models?

Sorry. I have two SS Tikka T3 Lite - 7mm Rem Mags. Mine are SS barreled actions with the black plastic stocks. I don't know if the Hunter Model has a different recoil lug design or not. To clarify, my report is what I have examined on my two T3 Lites.

Let me know if the Hunter Model recoil lug is different, if you happen to know?

Sorry. I have two SS Tikka T3 Lite - 7mm Rem Mags. Mine are SS barreled actions with the black plastic stocks. I don't know if the Hunter Model has a different recoil lug design or not. To clarify, my report is what I have examined on my two T3 Lites.

Let me know if the Hunter Model recoil lug is different, if you happen to know?
Judging from other reports I believe the only difference between hunter and T3 Lite is the stock, additionally I have never heard a report of any Tikka T3's (Varmint / Tactical) being bedded.
wow not bad for a rifle design that doesn't require $800.00 in aftermarket parts and tuning to shoot fair at a fair distance. I have T3 Lite in 7mm-08 shooting about 1.25" groups at 100 yards with the cheapest winchester silver box. Sometimes I get an occasional clover leaf. I am very anxious to learn handloading and see if I can get it to shoot 1/2 at 100. Lot a guys say they are doing it, just find the sweet spot and learn to shoot. If I can learn to shoot well and get it tuned it's a realistic 500 yard hunter / shooter I figure thats a good milestone for a beginner.

Last edited:
M, the 7-08 of yours will 1/2 MOA easy as it is , I have a 595 the model before (IMHO Tikka/Sako went backwards with the T3), in 7-08 and I have taken lots of game out to 500 with it.
Ive mucked around with various bullets from 115 gr Speer HP-150 gr Serria 150s they have all taken game ranging from Hares through to Red deer with relative ease.

Sadly my 708 is now my bush gun so it dos'ent get out much like it use to, but if I ever just go for a rekie to a new block its the go to gun!

The two loads I have settled on are a 120 gr Nosler BT for light skined stuff(goat culling load really) but my main hunting load is the Nosler 140 Accubond which performs superbly. I shot a 80lb pig on Sunday nite,close really at 178 yrds through the right ham, smashed the hip joint, thru gut cavity broke its neck and stopped just under the skin behind its left ear! most impressed.

If you want another stock for it, Manners are now making composite stocks for the T3s they will be superb stocks but, I would suggest tunning yours as it is with a handload and just shoot it before going down that path.

If you havent yet lighten the trigger too, very easy job, if you google it it should come up with pictures if not PM me and I will send you some but its waaay simple and you cant really go any lighter than 1.5 lbs and its totally safe.

The Optilock rings are fine rings too I had people tell me that they crap because the Hex bolts strips the Hex part easy!! 15 IN/LBS tourque its all that it required, they will never ever strip! Ivce got them on my 375 H&H and in 4 years and 1000s of rounds they have never given me grief so they are strong.

Thats my 2c, you have a made an excellent choice anyway and will give you years of enjoyment.

Damm I got all carried away and didnt answer your question, they dont really need it, for factory guns theyre really good, and theyre made in Finland!!!:D
I asked a very well respected gunsmith about truing a Tikka action, "havent found one that needed it"
As for bases etc they have screws in the action for them, plenty of them out there! if you for some reason dont like the optilocks.
Limbsaver make recoil pads for them, Ive covered stocks and trigger
Anything else you need to know just ask.

Regards 300WSMMAD

Last edited:
Judging from other reports I believe the only difference between hunter and T3 Lite is the stock, additionally I have never heard a report of any Tikka T3's (Varmint / Tactical) being bedded.
wow not bad for a rifle design that doesn't require $800.00 in aftermarket parts and tuning to shoot fair at a fair distance. I have T3 Lite in 7mm-08 shooting about 1.25" groups at 100 yards with the cheapest winchester silver box. Sometimes I get an occasional clover leaf. I am very anxious to learn handloading and see if I can get it to shoot 1/2 at 100. Lot a guys say they are doing it, just find the sweet spot and learn to shoot. If I can learn to shoot well and get it tuned it's a realistic 500 yard hunter / shooter I figure thats a good milestone for a beginner.

You have a great rifle. Learning to handload will bring much enjoyment and better accuracy for less $ too. You have a great plan and modest long range with practice builds confidence, and skill. You'll do well. Good Luck.

Tikka's don't have much aftermarket upgrades because there's not much to do. It comes with a removable magazine, nice easy adjustable trigger, rings, sako style extractor, smooth action and an accuracy guarantee. The only thing that I could recommend is some more stout rings if you're shooting a magnum. My friend has a 300wsm T3 lite and the scope has moved around with the factory rings. Also, a raised comb would help if you have a larger scope...

Here's a write up I did awhile back that shows the T3 in detail.
Enjoy...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tikka-t-3-vs-m595-detail-views-changes-shown-55517/

There is not much demand for this platform---why develop aftermarket products for little or no ROI?

Don't have an answer to your question. But I have been shooting a T-3 Tactical in 308 since August of 2008. It is a wonderful factory rifle and capable of sub-moa. Other than trigger work and stock modification not much is is needed. I used it as a entry level rig to long range shooting and as my main hunting rifle. Now that my custom rig is just about finished it will serve as a back up. But I will always have my T-3.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts