Who's been shootin?

Re: Who\'s been shootin?

I've been doing a little, on those few mornings I've had when the wind isn't blowing.

I got a jack rabbit the other morning at 663 laser ranged yards. A new record for me.
grin.gif

I've spent most of the last couple of weeks cursing the wind and reading some new books.

I've got (6) 1,000yd BR matches in already this year, but the boss told me last week that vacation time is going to get scarce if any all from now until early December so we'll see if this continues.

Who's going to take up the slack?

Steve

Made it out today to test a few .243 AI and .280 AI loads but the dang wind was blowing about 20 mph gusting to 25, so we called it quits and drove down to a field where you can see about 1200 yards. There was a muskrat in the field at about 900 yds but by the time I got out of the truck with the .280, he made his way to the treeline on the right. Two crows landed at about 950-975 and , since I didn't have my rangefinder or data on the test load, I did the next best thing and took a SWAG. I knew the distance was about 950 yds., so I cranked in 27 MOA elevation and 8 MOA of wind and let 'er rip. My dad was spotting and I got back in the scope just before impact ---I believe it was that crow's lucky day. Miss at 12 o'clock by less than 4 inches. He did the funky chicken for a minute and finally flew off. We were laughing so hard I couldn't shoot again.
I still felt good about that one--Not bad for a SWAG(scientific wild *** guess). He won't be so lucky next time....
grin.gif
wink.gif

My wife and I shot in the first match at Willimsport this past week-end. We shot in both classes, 16 1/2lb and the Heavy gun class.

In the last two or three weeks, broke in barrels on four guns. Two 300 Weatherbys, 6/284 and a 6.5/284.

Other then that, a little turkey hunting, put in 120' of 12" culvert with my backhoe, keeping up with the mowing, dug in 100' of underground wiring, cut up some firewood for next winter, hauled large mountain stone for a firm base for two electric poles and trying to keep up with the aggregates and write the newsletter for the Williamsport club.
It's nice being retired.

DC

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Just ended wolf and coyote hunting for the year on my month R&R going to go Griz. hunting here in about a week or two my daughter wants another Griz. so she is going to go if she can take time from work and collage she loves to hunt them bears.any way it is nice to take a break got a few more trails to cut in for wolf season next fall and some new equpitment to get broke in also the summer is never very long here; Have a good one: Coyote Slayer
smile.gif

Went out Sunday and shot 18 groups in about 4 hours. I know, I'm slow. Well one conclusion, in my sons Win classic compact 308win the 150 and 165 Sciroccos don't ever get under 2.5moa and the norm is around 3.5moa, and thats with three powders and several loads of each too.

The 165 Sierra GKSP and GKHPs turned in some fantastic groups though. All were under 1moa and most all between .5moa and .7moa with two under .4moa, so I'm very happy with these bullets and not at all with the Sciroccos.

I might add also that the factory Rem. 165 Scirocco load was shooting +2.5moa groups also. That was not the case with Federals factory 165 Sierra GKSP load, it was hovering just over .6moa. In this barrel, pressure was 48,900 for the GK factory load and 57,900 for Remingtons Scirocco load.

Going again this weekend.

I was out playing with a300 win mag rem 700 at 300 yards. Shot a nice 3/4 in 3 shot group with it.

I went out one evening, 3 weeks ago. Killed 3 woodchucks at 125, 175 and 310 yards. Three shots, 3 kills, even though they weren't long range is was fun to get out again.

I am looking forward to hunting with Boyd this summer.

By the way Boyd,,,,,,,,,,whats a good weekend for you?

Don
smile.gif

Hi Don,any 1000 yard Match off weekend.We shoot next weekend.And have the next weekend off.And so on.....Seeing alot of hog's up this way.How about you?First cutting in a few week's.Let me know.......
grin.gif

Boyd,

To make sure I understand (and at my age that's not always easy, lol) you are open on the 25th of this month?

As to chucks - Most of the local farmers are just now spraying (round-up) on the fields in preparation for planting corn and beans. Planting should start soon. About 2 weeks later we should see tender bean plants emerging and we know what that means - candy for the chucks. I would say in 2 to 3 weeks we should have real good chuck hunting. Right now it is tough to see chucks in last years corn fields because the stalks are still up. Not a lot of hay fields around anymore. Seems like most of the guys that HAD cows have gone the corn and bean route and have given up trying to make a living raising cattle. There are a few dairy farms here and there but for the most part it is all corn and beans. The local nursery has some huge fields but they manicure their fields to the point where chucks are a rare sight on all their properties. Then again, we could always set-up on one side of the field and shoot over 1000 yards across the fields and watch the tree lines for chucks.

I do have exlusive rights to one place that has 460 acres and they will be planting all beans this year. The longest shooting available there is just a chip shot for you - around 800 yards. We killed about 20 chucks there last year and after doing some scouting the past couple of weeks I see lots of fresh holes. As soon as those bean plants get a couple of inches high you can bet those chucks will be moving into the fields and so will we
smile.gif

Later this year we will be installing several elevated stands on that property. Again, we are the only ones allowed to place stands on that property, concreted 5' in the ground. We are looking at 4' X 6' stands, 20' high (line of sight). This will allow us better viewing for both chucks and deer - out to 800 yards.
If your interested in any doe hunting this fall, let me know. We already have 3 stands on another peice of property. All have roofs and all are waterproof. Nice and comfy.

Don
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.