Who uses SMKs for hunting?

I currently reload 135 grain Sierra Matchkings (HPBT) in my 270 win. They are a great round, I haven't killed anything with them yet but have taken them out to the range for testing. I compared the SMK to 130 Ballistic silvertip and they had about the same results on a SunnyD bottle filled with water at 200 yards. They both blew the bottle skyward and both bottles were found 2-3 feet away from the spot they were initially sitting. Both bottles were shredded, still one peice, but were completely torn apart. I like the SMK more because a higher B.C. for longrange shooting.

Very interesting bullet posts as usual! Also, as usual, there are as many opinions as posts. I'm not going to try to discredit anyones pros or cons for using the Smk but mearly state what I have experienced. I have done a lot of testing with SMK's, Bergers, as well as my own bullets.I know that I will probably catch some flak, but here goes. First of all, the SMK's DO NOT perform the same as the Bergers. This is not necessarily a plug for Bergers but mearly a fact. Bergers are more explosive by far than Smk's and have more predictable expansion (at least at reasonable velocities). Berger uses J4 jackets and Sierra uses there own (they are different hardness). They have different ogive shapes which also affects expansion characteristics, as does the meplat diameter. Neither are as "consistent" in expanding as some of the hunting bullets. This is not to say they are no good for hunting but it says something about at what range do you shoot an animal and in what part of the anatomy? Not all SMK's are equal! There are differences in jacket thickness which plays in at various velocities. Many people use SMK's for the big .338's because they were the best option for hitting something at long range (you have to hit it to kill it)! ANY bullet in .338 is going to cause enough damage to kill something but that doesn't necessarily make it the best bullet. I actually use Sierra jackets in some of my tipped VLD designs because I like the way they perform (if given a chance to get the expansion started with the tip I use). At moderate velocities, Bergers are more apt to blow than Sierras and Sierras are more apt to tumble than Bergers. Both cause damage, but how do you predict it? For expansion at lower velocities, I would give the edge to the Berger and conversely, for holding together at high and moderate velocities, the edge goes to the SMK. Again, I am using .308 for most of the comparisons and this may not always hold true for other diameters? Bottom line, use what works for YOU! One thing I can tell you for sure is that a tipped bullet, all else being equal, is far more predictable. That's why I use the VLD design with a jacket similar, or the same as, a Berger or Sierra for LONG RANGE! It also raises the b.c. so the velocity will be retained longer, which of course aids in expansion. In winding this up, I'll throw another wrench into the mix. Try the A-Max at "long range" for the reasons I've stated:D........Good shooting/Rich

Rich---agree with most of your points. The jacket thickness is even different in the same diameter family of bullets. Therefore to say they are all the same in a caliber line is not a fair comparison (not saying you did just a clarification) and must be evaluated separately.

Like I said earlier I only use certain ones.

It seems that the more I practice for long range shots the closer they end up being :)

I have used the 8mm 200 grain SMK @ 3000 fps MV and taken two whitetail does.

The first at under 50 yards. Quartering to me and the bullet entered just behind the front leg and exited just in front of the offside ham.
About 1/2 of the intestines were ejected out of the chest cavity entrance wound!

Second shot broadside at 100 yards. Bullet nicked a rib on the way in, just missed the heart and took out 3 ribs on the way out.....entrance and exit were at least 4 inches in front of the diaphragm.

The deer ran and as I tracked it I found 1/2 of its liver lying in the snow about 25 yards from where I shot it and when I found it much of the gut were sticking out of the chest cavity.

I have never seen two bullet wounds cause such massive trauma.

I aim for the heart so bang flops are not the norm for me with any bullet. If you want that then go high shoulder and live with the meat loss.

edge.

It seems that the more I practice for long range shots the closer they end up being :)

I have used the 8mm 200 grain SMK @ 3000 fps MV and taken two whitetail does.

The first at under 50 yards. Quartering to me and the bullet entered just behind the front leg and exited just in front of the offside ham.
About 1/2 of the intestines were ejected out of the chest cavity entrance wound!

Second shot broadside at 100 yards. Bullet nicked a rib on the way in, just missed the heart and took out 3 ribs on the way out.....entrance and exit were at least 4 inches in front of the diaphragm.

The deer ran and as I tracked it I found 1/2 of its liver lying in the snow about 25 yards from where I shot it and when I found it much of the gut were sticking out of the chest cavity.

I have never seen two bullet wounds cause such massive trauma.

I aim for the heart so bang flops are not the norm for me with any bullet. If you want that then go high shoulder and live with the meat loss.

edge.

I know what you mean about practicing long/shooting short! I shot my elk at under 100 yds. last year with one of my 1300 yard bullets! Lots of damage:D
Your descriptions prove the point of match bullets at high velocity. Also show that a Sierra will penetrate more than a Berger. You wouldn't likely have had an exit wound on a quartering shot with a Berger at that range although the result would likely have been the same. (lots of damage)......Rich

After reading this site for almost 3 years now, I could purdy much predict who would say what about this subject, except for the new guys. Talking about bullets is almost like talking about someone's sister or mother. That goes for rifles too. :)

Rich, you sure make some purdy boolits. One of these days I'll get some down range. Got some bugs with my RUM ATM I need to get worked out. It didn't shoot real well at last weekends LR shoot. :cool:

After reading this site for almost 3 years now, I could purdy much predict who would say what about this subject, except for the new guys. Talking about bullets is almost like talking about someone's sister or mother. That goes for rifles too. :)

Rich, you sure make some purdy boolits. One of these days I'll get some down range. Got some bugs with my RUM ATM I need to get worked out. It didn't shoot real well at last weekends LR shoot. :cool:

You need to get rid of that powder burner and build a Sherman and no more talkin about my sister!!

Last edited:
Dropped a co elk at 402 yard with my .338 Tejas using 300g SMK. Layup shot but dropped her like a rock with one shot.

I had, just once and it wasn't SMK, I had 155 gr Nosler Custom Competition, (NCC) they very similar to 155 SMK but not like Palma as far as B.C... It was head shot, brown deer was going through thick pine woods, probably 50 - 70 yards from my position, there was clear window I shot him, that 155 gr bullet never made an exit, although that buck felt dead on spot with eyes extended outwards, whole scull was nothing but a mush, I did recover lots of small pieces of copper and lead in the mush...

I guess I missed something. I don't follow your logic. ...are you saying that if it's not good for hunting, it must be good for combat? Is that because we want to wound the enemy so they'll run home and die?

-- richard

Actually, a wounded man is worth more than a dead man in combat when your the one behind a scope. They scream and yell and draw thier buddies out to assist. A vicious cycle as you can imagine.

The military played hell getting this bullet approved (It was a CPT that did all the testing and reports, cant remember the name) as the Geneva Convention prohibits the hollow point bullets. If sierra recomends them for anything but punching paper, it may cause problems elsewhere.

Ive killed a hog at 65-70 yds with 168 .308 SMK. Litterally left a softball sized exit wound. I would call it a blood trail, but it was more like a river. No experience on deer or larger game.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.