Who partial neck sizes?

DJ Fergus

How many of you partial size the neck of your cases? Have you saw a difference on the target using that method?

When I used bushing dies that were only for necks, I would only size 80% of the neck. At the time, I thought this was best and gave the smallest groups.
Alas, I was mistaken because going to dies with honed necks and modified expanders and using a mandrel with custom sizes that size almost all of the neck gave me tighter groups. The difference is from working the brass the least possible amount, I believe.
I am a big believer in Forster dies and honed necks with modified expanders.
I only skim turn my necks nowadays, just enough to clean them up.
If you work your brass very little, then it's concentricity stays very stable and is repeatable between sizings and firings.

Cheers.

I full body die and use LE Wilson Mandrel for neck sizing. For my 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 WSM cartriges and Foster full length on 223.
Anneal every two or three firings. I also have a 223 LE Wilson Mandrel as well when shooting from my Bolt action.

Last edited:
I've sized half the necks before to help seal off the chamber on factory chambers with more than .005 neck clearance.

I've sized half the necks before to help seal off the chamber on factory chambers with more than .005 neck clearance.
I'm working with a chamber right now that has .007 clearance around the neck. this was part of why I asked about partial neck sizing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.