Who makes glass for Nightforce Atacr and Beast?

Schott has a factory in Japan now. That is where Tract glass comes from troupe.

I have asked the question if all the Japanese glass is made to the same specs as the European Schott glass and it wasn't answered.

I seen somewhere that LOW makes NF glass and some scopes say made in Japan so that would make sense except Paul saw NF scopes in CZ and that throws a wrench in the works.
There aren't that many glass makers in the world actually, scope makers go to a maker and look at the lots of glass and see which lots meet their specs. They will buy different lots based on the scope line/ price point scope it's going in. It's just like the diamond buyers do. Japan has been putting out some of the top glass in the world for years. 'This was told to me buy a tech at Leupold, and my cousin that has worked for Zeiss for 29 years. As far as NF spotting scope meopta makes the whole scope just rebranded, they also sell the same scope. They also make or made one for Cabelas for years, they also made the cabelas euro line of rifle scopes for them, it says meopta right on the bottom. I don't know if they still do, I know last years they changed some of their lines and contracts with who was producing some of their products. Meopta also made their euro line of binoculars which were very nice bino's. As far as NF ATACR's I have 7, some are marked made in USA some in made in Japan, seems to be no pattern which ones but I can't tell any difference between them and it doesn't bother me either way. Some of the top optics of yesteryear were made in Japan.

Most of the cheap optics is poly carbonic that is laser cut then ground with various powders and sands in what looks like pottery wheel with about four to 15 inches of water in it.

The high end glass is all tempered glass and has to be made in country that allow for mason wheelʻs to be used. lexicuita (not sure on the spelling off the top of my head) makes many of the 3rd party glass using the same methods they make eye glass. Nikon uses a masonʻs wheel. The glass that comes out of nokia finland has to be sold as either defective or not so by fin law. So companies that are willing to offer a warranty buy the lens or have the scopes made to spec then they point to the ones they think are defective and those are given out as Christmas gifts in nokia as it is not legal to see defective goods in fin land.

So the mkg that make scopes could be buying eye glass blanks and grinding them down or they could making some in house and some bought third party. What is important is the reflex limit or the refraction limit. Poly carbonate is about two hundred feet of accuracy. soda lime glass is about a thousand feet but only if convex to concave and it will yellow over time. tempered glass that is rolled flat and ground to shape can give you two and half miles. Remembering that just because you can see a blurry image two and half miles away does not mean that the image a hundred feet away is sharp and crisp.

Most high end scope lens at this point are basically synthetic conundrum made with a masonʻs wheel. Walking into a room with masonʻs wheel running is as bad as walking into a steel workerʻs blast furnace foundry. The wave of heat hits you in the face like a wall. So getting to see the lens made is usually not something the mkg can offer customers.

There is primary two ways to make a variable scope. one you have two end lens that are curved so that the light gathered by the objective lens shines on a prism that reflects to the primary lens. Some people call the one in front of the eye the relief lens and a few other words and the screws adjust picture on the primary lens by sliding the prism closer and further away, or by adjusting the angle which causes the image to get really small in the center of the primary lens. Think a diagonal line that is pointed at the bottom of the primary lens and as the point of the image moves higher toward the center of the lens the picture on the curvature gets smaller.

I prefer working lens arrays which are actually an old sailors telescope inside a sealed tube. This allows for the primary lens to use di-opters to magnify the relif lens to larger eye piece with more lens in it. Nikon was working on a scope that had di-opters for glasses wearers but the range the di-opters have to open up for high index prescriptions limits there functions in the magnification side.

What most lens makers usually do not admit to get 7.5 miles reflex requires two pieces of glass that are welded together with a masonʻs wheel. I remember the first time Melvin get to look through one of the scopes that nokia was working on he kept saying it was a computer in there. I had to admit the there was a really primitive computer in there for moving the lens array back and forward.

The thing is a scope is used to identify what is down range and how far away you rifle shoots is really a good rule of thumb how much to spend on a high end scope. A 9mm synthetic sapphire or emerald is about eight dollars us and can be used to make a 25 mm aperture sight picture. a 15 mm costs about forty dollars. If you want quality you have to start with dust from an actual corundum geode. To make a crushed lens it took ten pounds of corundum dust, twenty five pounds of cobalt, and a hundred pounds of rarefied silicon beach sand, which made about a hundred scope lens but pulling the edge off the glass globule only resulted in smaller globules until I had one the same of large bowling ball. Those ended up star gazing telescopes with a twenty five mile reflex and to zoom it had to a computer moving the lens array in thousandth of centimeter per foot of distance change. the battery dyes it does not move the cmos chip fails you need a new one that is programed.

Which means looking back at the prism based scopes the glass is important but the whole assembly is needed to actually have scope you can depend on.

No I am talking about the glass only Nikon has to many scopes and tons of refurbished ones for sale all the time.nikon has made cameras for a long time which has glass lenses and they have. A. Spotting scope that bird watchers use over any Swarovski spotting scope.i do not own any Nikon scopes.i use nightforce and vortex. And I have a divari by zeiss I use on coyotes sometimes

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.