Who likes a good Scout Rifle?

REM model seven XCR in 7mm-08, small light a dream to carry, good for 300 yards.....great tree gun when the big boys arn't really needed. And yes I took it from my child(not my fault she dont hunt much no more). I love it!

3x9x40 leapold

Hmmm all sounds expensive to me : using a nice old Remington 600 chambered to .358win with 18" medium weight barrel
My eyes need tweaking so I wont take down anything past 150 yards and that is why the .358win is perfect.
A scout isn't a LRH tool in my mind.

Hmmm all sounds expensive to me : using a nice old Remington 600 chambered to .358win with 18" medium weight barrel
My eyes need tweaking so I wont take down anything past 150 yards and that is why the .358win is perfect.
A scout isn't a LRH tool in my mind.
Agreed, a Scout isn't an LRH rig. But it is the perfect companion to an LRH rig, thus the question (plus I need a truck gun that isn't a mile long and super spendy:D). I like the idea of the .358, plenty of knock down power within 150 or so. My eyesight is lacking, so I prefer an optic of some sort for anything past 100ish.

I have one of these Ruger Scout Rifles - the Baby 308 I call it. I grabbed it for the novelty factor and that my armoury is full of 24 to 26 inch long range precision gear, so something neat, light and easy to jump around with in close scrub was on the menu.
The rifle's bark is nasty, being a 16 inch barrel and she jumps up some, so I've put a muzzle brake on it. The mag system feels flimsy and it works ok, but I still don't have 100% confidence in it. I find soft tip rounds tend to mis-feed (jam) with it because the brutish Ruger system forces the bullets too hard against the magazine feed ramp.
The main problem with the rifle is the bolt system. Rough as guts doesn't even come close to describing it. This maybe a consequence of a factory production process or just plain poor QandA, but it is seriously poor quality. Right now my Scout Rifle is in about 200 pieces at my armourers shop being machined and all working faces polished to try and get the bolt system working properly. Out of the box, the bolt system is so ridiculously rough, it jams - metal on metal - if you work it at any speed other than slow motion.
See what happens when I get it back. If its no improvement, I will be getting rid of it.
I'll let you know.
Cheers

I have one of these Ruger Scout Rifles - the Baby 308 I call it. I grabbed it for the novelty factor and that my armoury is full of 24 to 26 inch long range precision gear, so something neat, light and easy to jump around with in close scrub was on the menu.
The rifle's bark is nasty, being a 16 inch barrel and she jumps up some, so I've put a muzzle brake on it. The mag system feels flimsy and it works ok, but I still don't have 100% confidence in it. I find soft tip rounds tend to mis-feed (jam) with it because the brutish Ruger system forces the bullets too hard against the magazine feed ramp.
The main problem with the rifle is the bolt system. Rough as guts doesn't even come close to describing it. This maybe a consequence of a factory production process or just plain poor QandA, but it is seriously poor quality. Right now my Scout Rifle is in about 200 pieces at my armourers shop being machined and all working faces polished to try and get the bolt system working properly. Out of the box, the bolt system is so ridiculously rough, it jams - metal on metal - if you work it at any speed other than slow motion.
See what happens when I get it back. If its no improvement, I will be getting rid of it.
I'll let you know.
Cheers

CZ USA aren't much better, too much meat out of the .375H&H action makes it stove pipe - the rifle hasn't left the shop after test jamming/firing so it stayed behind on the last Nambia trip. I can't sell it.

What has happened to ? Too much computer CNC and not enough QA ?

I tried a remington 7600 patrol rifle in .308w.... it's for sale too - a horrible piece of kit, I am still trying to grow skin back its that roughly made.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.