Who is from Wisconsin!

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I live in Oshkosh and for the past two years have been deer hunting just north of Waupaca. I use a handgun to get around the shotgun county issue. Shot a deer at 501 yards in a shotgun county last year!

Here in cn Mn the fear of changing to shotgun only is getting stronger. Lots of idiots who don't know how to handle rifles. That is a pretty slick way to stay in the long range hunting gig in a shotgun zone ;)

I live near Mauston, WI and hunt just about anywhere, from the coulee country in southern WI to the National Forest in Northeast WI. Lived in CO for three years while active Army and go back fairly regular to hunt elk. Been tinkering with guns for a long time and recently aquired a lathe, milling machine, etc for building accurate rifles.

Holding down the fort here in SE WI.
I hunt in the Northern Kettle Moraine SF and NE of Antigo where my inlaws live.
I've been out in the Nicolet NF hunting and camping along with handgun silhouette shooting all over the state with a trip to Ohio again this year.

Mike

Len, it certainly can be steep down here. I lived in Fond du Lac in H.S. and have siblings in Oshkosh and FDL.

Yotefever, my parents live in Antigo, and I spent my early years there. My dad and his 'deer buddies' still hunt up in the Nicolet north of Crandon and that's where I hunted for many years. Probably some of my favorite hunting is up there in the big woods. You can still-hunt all day and not cross another hunters track...although after the wolves moved in you're likely not to see many deer tracks either! My biggest buck was a 150" 10-point I rattled in on the second day of gun deer season in the middle of a large cedar swamp (couple miles each way). He didn't even know it was hunting season yet. That's far different than down here where on opening day I'll hear more than a hundred rifleshots before nine!

One of the best hunts down here is winter coyote hunting. There's a lot of them and my favorite time is full-moon and a good snow. I'll spend all night leap-frogging the area down here with a 17 Remington AR and varmint calls. Nighttime is their time and the coyotes don't think twice about running across an open field to the call. We have pretty good luck and more often than not get one or a couple every outing.

Wow, open-shooting coyote hunting right here in WI.

I have to find an "ENVY" smilie to add to our list on the right. light bulb

I'm located in the south central part of the state, Rock Co. to be exact. Been hunting the CWD zone east of Beloit for the past few years, kinda nice to be able to use a rifle in this wide open farmland, but you definately have to choose your shots wisely. Like most places around here developement is on the rise and I imagine it will only be a few more years before I'm looking elsewhere to hunt, but thats alright this state has a lot to offer a hunter you just have to get out there and find it.

Chris

I'm in the center of the state, but grew up in Lodi. I do most of my hunting around Pittsville, but my brother bought some land in Crawford county so I'll be headed south for deer hunting. I like western hunting and usually make a couple trips west each year. I recently opened my custom gun shop here in Pittsville.

Matt, If you see this post, I would like to visit next week, if one morning will work for you.
I'll send an e-mail this weekend.

Jim

My wife is from Wisconsin , go back there at least yearly. Its a beautiful place. Been to visit Brux barrels in Lodi and Mike Rocks shop over in Albany....nice folks.
If the rest of the state had a brain they would build a high wall around Madison .

Sconi boy here, born and raised in Oneida County. I now live in Minnesota but will be a packer backing, badger til I die. i still get back to hunt each fall and wouldn't miss an opener for nothing, 24 years and counting.