who has a 300wsm 180 grain accubond load.

Peashooter, Looked at your Nosler reference. Not many powders listed. Saw something interesting in their data. My experience with a 300 WSM and a chronograph shows that the 300 WSM case likes hot loads and gets better accuracy & ES when pushed. Nosler is the first data that shows reduced loads doing better than max type loads. VERY INTERESTING! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Wapiti, about the hot loads.

I had been using the Nosler book's most accurate load for 180 gr NBT and RL22 in my 300wsm, 67.0gr, to shoot about 0.75" at 100yd. I had gone to the book max, 69.0gr, and things just got worse. Yesterday I tried going up again, starting at 68.5 and bumping by 0.3 gr. 86.5 was 1.5", 68.8 - 2.0", 69.1 back to 1.5", 69.4 - 0.5", and 69.7 - 0.6", all 5 shot groups. No pressure signs at the higher loads on a 50 degree day. It was pretty breezy so might do better in the calm. The public range was busy and I couldn't set up my chrony, so no velocity figures. At least in my gun, faster does seem to be better.

As always, YMMV, work up to max.

Each rifle likes a different recipe, that's just the way it is. I had really good luck w/ 110 g vmax (.5" -.65" 5 shot groups at 100), but when I tried 165 gr, the groups were .8" to 2". My next trick is to change seating depth and see if my rifle likes them farther off the lands. I already tested the 165's for magazine length and longer, and they really did worse as the bullets got longer. Now I will test from magazine length and shorter.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.