Who Else Uses The Hornady A-Max for Deer?

"Amazing, I left N.C. to go to NY in July to shoot whitetails with nuissance/crop damage permits and a man from NY leaves NY to come to N.C. for whitetails. Whole lot of traveling going on.
"

On Long Island there is a lot of crop damge shooting but I never did any myself.
Curious - Where did you shoot crop damaging deer?

JimPlumber - Nice shot. Always good to see another hunter who's got the bolt on the wrong side but still gets the job done.

I knew there was something odd about that rifle. Great shooting.

In N.Y. we were in the western part of the state, maybe an hour or 2 south of Rochester. It was a great trip, I saw some fantastic scenery, some nice whitetails and met some unbelievably nice people. Not to mention I took my 1st long range whitetail, a doe at 678 yds, what an experience/memory for me. I do remember driving up pasted/north of Lake Seneca. Just a fantastic trip that I am thankful I can remember.

Mike

155 AMAX TAP claims another deer

I just shot a small buck with an 155g Amax TAP .308 round at 165 yards. I was impressed. Buck was quartering toward me. I shot center of mass in the front shoulder/lower neck. There was no exit and none of the bullet made it far enough back to damage the deer's diaphragm. All the energy went into the deer. It piled up within 6 feet of where I shot it. The lungs were like red jello.

I shot a deer last season w/ 140g amax from factory , and a coyote as well. Both worked well. This year I shot a deer w/ 175g SMK and a Coyote w/ the same round. Both fell where I shot them.

I have used the 178gr Amax out of a .308 Win to take a Pronghorn at 350yds, Mule Deer at 400yds and Bull Elk at 320yrds. Here are the results.

Pronghorn - Double lung shot, complete pass through with 2" exit. The buck spun around and sprinted about 50 yards before dropping.

Mule Deer - Bullet destroyed the upper lungs and thoracic aorta. The buck never took a step, just stood there for 2-3 seconds before tipping over.

Bull Elk - 1st shot was low in the chest near the heart and took out some major vessels. This was a fatal shot but he was still standing. An immediate follow-up shot dropped the bull. This round went through the scapula penetrated the upper lungs and came to rest just under the hide on the opposite shoulder.

Here is a link with a pic of the bull.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f52/2-desert-bulls-99870/

At the lower velocities of the .308 Win they have been excellent with good expansion, excellent energy transfer, devastating wound channels and reasonable penetration.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.