Who can get my savage to shoot

Terrytf

I need a new barrel in my .243 savage I was told buy barnes a 1 and 8.5 twist would be great . I will be shooting 80g TTSX . I would like to make this a real nice shooter this will be my play riffle and the one I take and teach my twin boys to shoot . Anyone have a smith in mind

That seems like a fast twist for 80 gr bullets. What is it now? Even a 1 in 10 should shoot 80's. If you have been shooting the solid copper barnes in it already she pobably is coppered up. Might try a good cleaning with BoreTech Eliminator or CU+2

Jeff

I have cleaned it very well every time out . it has a 1 and 9.5 twist now . My thing now if this 1 & 8.5 wont shoot my lead free I know it will shoot 115 gr Match VLD and use it for a long range squirrel gun . but as of now barnes is telling me it will make a bid difference in my groupings.

Barnes CS usually gives good advice, but this one doesn't pass the smell test. FWIW, my Steyr .243 has 1:10 twist and seems to stabilize 85 gr TSX just fine. Have you tried varying COAL? How far off the lands is it now?

I shoot the 80gr, TTSX in a 243 WSSM with 42.2 gr of IMR 4007ssc WLR primers in a 1-10 twist barrel.It did take me forever to find a load for it.

I have cleaned it very well every time out . it has a 1 and 9.5 twist now . My thing now if this 1 & 8.5 wont shoot my lead free I know it will shoot 115 gr Match VLD and use it for a long range squirrel gun . but as of now barnes is telling me it will make a bid difference in my groupings.

What solvent did you use to clean it?

Jeff

lngrnghunter said:
I shoot the 80gr, TTSX in a 243 WSSM with 42.2 gr of IMR 4007ssc WLR primers in a 1-10 twist barrel.It did take me forever to find a load for it.

I'm still working on my Steyr .243. Using 85 gr TSX, I'm getting about 1.2" 5-shot groups at 100 yds, and 3120 fps from a 20" barrel with 45.5 gr of H4350. I seat the bullet .050" off the lands.

I also shoot 62 gr VGs with this rifle. The last trip to the range I played with seating depth and saw that reducing the jump helped tighten the groups. I'm going to try that next with the TSX loads.

Any other suggestions?

What solvent did you use to clean it?

Jeff

Barnes CR 10

How many rounds down the barrel that you have ?
600 BARNES 200 Hornady 100 Nosler 20 Barnes loaded 20 hornady loaded 2 boxies of winchester ...so 980 so far the best was the lead winchesters lead 5 shoots in a dime at 100y the rest I might hit a COW !

Barnes CS usually gives good advice, but this one doesn't pass the smell test. FWIW, my Steyr .243 has 1:10 twist and seems to stabilize 85 gr TSX just fine. Have you tried varying COAL? How far off the lands is it now?
I have try max (jamming the lands) to 2. off the lands and every thing in between at .05.I tried 4 powders in each load that showed potential .

Barnes CR 10

600 BARNES 200 Hornady 100 Nosler 20 Barnes loaded 20 hornady loaded 2 boxies of winchester ...so 980 so far the best was the lead winchesters lead 5 shoots in a dime at 100y the rest I might hit a COW !

I have try max (jamming the lands) to 2. off the lands and every thing in between at .05.I tried 4 powders in each load that showed potential .

With 600+ Barnes TTSX down the tube and using CR-10 I say it is copper fouled. I have put a lot of time into proper cleaning and what works on copper. You have all this against you. A rilfe with pretty high velocity, a factory tube that is probably rough and a solid copper bullet that copper fouls even the smoothest barrels. I would be getting a bottle of BoreTech CU+2 if it does not sell you on it I will buy it from you. I take it it once shot well with the TTSX or you would not have shot 600 of them. Just saying.

Jeff

With 600+ Barnes TTSX down the tube and using CR-10 I say it is copper fouled. I have put a lot of time into proper cleaning and what works on copper. You have all this against you. A rilfe with pretty high velocity, a factory tube that is probably rough and a solid copper bullet that copper fouls even the smoothest barrels. I would be getting a bottle of BoreTech CU+2 if it does not sell you on it I will buy it from you. I take it it once shot well with the TTSX or you would not have shot 600 of them. Just saying.

Jeff
I will get some tomarow and give it a try . and no the only one that has shot well is the lead 95g winchester . but I live in a lead free zone so thats what I load and shoot

?!? I suspect the muzzle crown is damaged. Have you ruled that out?
no I have not

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts