White Sands Missle Range, Oryx ?? Kirby??

I guess it would have been a lot easier to quarter it where it fell. It's a lot of trouble moving a whole animal around like that, you must have really wanted that picture! Looks like maybe 450 lbs. on the hoof. I can't imagine loading that on an atv in one piece.

I'm going to have to look into putting in for one of those tags.

Broke horn bulls

I guess it would have been a lot easier to quarter it where it fell. It's a lot of trouble moving a whole animal around like that, you must have really wanted that picture! Looks like maybe 450 lbs. on the hoof. I can't imagine loading that on an atv in one piece.

I'm going to have to look into putting in for one of those tags.

If you apply for a broke horn hunt you can still apply for a regular hunt after you hunt the broke horns . If you apply for the and receive the regular hunt first you cant apply for a broke horn hunt . This is so if they haven't changed the rules .

The reason I mention this is that those bulls fight all the time since the breeding goes on year round and a lot of really good bulls have a trophy length horn on one side and the other side may be broken off half or less of its length . The broken part never grows back but whats left continue to get bigger . So there is a substantial population of bulls that people pass over . Hence this " broken horn " hunt is offered as an incentive to those that would like to hunt there more than once in their lifetime . I've been told there are some taxidermists can make it look like they were never broken .

Jim B.

eddybo congrats!

What area did you draw for? I tagged a nice cow last year and I'm headed back there again this year too. FYI you can have your cell phone (even if it has a camera, they say just don't use the camera.) they want you to have some way of contacting the main gate. Guards WILL search your truck when entering the gate so don't try to hide a camera, side arm or beer. (You will see a mile of ice chests along the road to the gate). If you don't have a set of long steady stix's or the tripod for off hand shots GET ONE! Camo is optional. If the Oryx see you and start to walk off, don't try to follow them! They have a funny run that will leave you behind in no time. Use the high spotting drive up mounds to find them and then plan your set up. I know Rhodes Canyon Very well, if you have any Question or need info for staying close by PM me, I only live a few hrs from there so I try to help the best I can. Oh and there are new Rules for the Oryx for the 2009 year. Small Missile Range will no longer be once in a lifetime, and off base tags will be over the counter!

Don't forget to make sure that your vehicle's inspection and insurance are in force. When we went to Rhodes canyon a few years back, my buddy didn't have his current insurance for his Powerstroke. We used my rental SUV when the military denied us entrance. We shot the oryx from the hiway (most hunters do the same). Then we lashed the horns and meat to the luggage rack on the roof. Later, we drove the SUV thru a car wash in T or C to remove the blood.
I shot my 36" male at a little over 200 yds with a 7mm Rem Mag and a 175 gr Nosler partition on the second day. Everyone will get some shooting--its a virtual slam dunk hunt. We found that the military MP's are constantly cruising around but are VERY helpful in suggesting places to find animals--the oryx are pretty much a nuisance to the service.
I must confess that I had a tiny pocket camera hidden in an extra pair of socks in my pack. We took a few quick pics and then got down to the boning and caping....

Never did put in for the hunt inside the fence at white sands but did draw a depredation tag on public land outside the fence. took a decent cow with a HS precision handgun
(handguns are legal off the base) in a 308 win., dropped her in her tracks with a shoulder shot at 220 yds. as it was a cow, she only had 30" horns but it took two of us lifting and winching to get her into the back of my truck, she was a load. but it was worth it, some of the best eating I have had.
good luck on your hunt.
nmhunter

Thanks HS I am counting the days. Hopefully I will get to verify the tastiness of those oryz.

It is disturbing to me that I cant carry my phone as it is also a camera. It also runs exbal. Guess I better find a PDA dedicated to running my ballistics program. At least I got a heads up on this here. I would have been very disappointed if I hadnt known this before I arrived.

Eddybo

If you still have a question or two after all these great replies, drop me a PM or email, and I'd be happy to share with you my Oryx experience(s). I've been lucky enough to be part of 4 Oryx hunts and may be able to share some insights with you as a result of those experiences.

There's many a "spooky and secret" things on going at WSMR....hence the no camera rules.

Great looking and performing rifle BTW!.....one can only hope and dream to own a rig like that someday. Beautiful!

I'm amazed at how many people have hunted these critters.

As said before, if you think of any questions, PM one of us and we'll try to help.

I've been on a 3 off range and 1 on range hunts, and all were successful. Closest shot was 150 yds and farthest was 300 yds, but none of the hunters were prepared for LR shooting.
A 338 AM ough to put one on the ground, I can't wait to hear a report.

The only suggestion I have is cut the darn thing in half in front of the last rib as soon as its gutted. Moving half one around is much easier than a whole one. And half one can be set up for pictures later too!

Good Luck!

Here's some pics to get your fever rolling.

DSCF6831.JPG

DSCF6833.JPG

DSCF6824.JPG

DSCF6363.JPG

Oh, SWHunter,
If the NMDGF rule proposal goes through, to make off-range OTC, I'm gettin a big LR boomer.
Probably a 338 edge.
And I know exactly where I'm gonna be on opening morning with most of my friends and family. We'll hunt until everyone fills out!

Last edited:
Some nice looking animals. :)

My buddy who is guiding me says he has a goodun picked out. I am just looking forward to visiting NM again and hanging out with some great guys. Anything else is just a bonus. I will definately let yall know if I score. If I get skunked I will be scarce for a while:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts