White Sands Hunt is a coming

buzz4me2

Heading out in 3 weeks for my Oryx hunt. Any others hunting the Stallion Range on the 22-23?

I was out there last year helping a friend and his wife they both tagged out his was the largest of the whole hunt. its a hard hunt going in blind. but a little thinking and it word out for both of them. don't pass on one the first day for one that you would settle for on the second day.
give a call if you would like to here what i know about the hunt
361-816-0270

Mine is the 23-25 on the Stallion Range. Not familiar with the area at all but one friend going along has hunted the other one (can't think of name right now). The grandson is flying in from Austin with his mother so definitely looking forward to the hunt. He will be going along, 13 and we have never had the chance to hunt together yet.

Mine is the 23-25 on the Stallion Range. Not familiar with the area at all but one friend going along has hunted the other one (can't think of name right now). The grandson is flying in from Austin with his mother so definitely looking forward to the hunt. He will be going along, 13 and we have never had the chance to hunt together yet.

Maybe we'll run into each other. Hope you have a great hunt

Well for the two people that have their hunt soon good luck. I too have a stallion range hunt 13-15 january. Please let me know what you learn on your hunt !

just in the gun room getting ready with the Grandson to go. He flew in from Austin, Tx this AM and is going with me. We built our Oryx loader this afternoon. 3 2x4's about 7' long with holes drilled every 12". Strung light rope through them. Can Role the Oryx onto it and use it as a stretcher. Bottom (center) 2x4 is flat with the holes through it the thick way. That way we can slide it and be lifting on the sides.

Don't know if it will be needed or work, but was good working together to build it.

Will head out tomorrow morning for the 10Am gate crashing.

:)

3rd guy was up hunting archery elk. He got a cow a few days ago and his wife arrowed a bull yesterday. High lung hit so they were tracking it the last I knew. Hopefully the were able to find it. I know it was leaving virtually no blood but the arrow went clear through at 35 yards.

When I went last year, I shot mine in a canyon about 1 mile from the road. Luckily they let you take an ATV if you have had a safety course and wear a helmet and gloves. I just dragged it down to an arroyo and backed the ATV up to the bank, flopped the Oryx down onto the back and tied it down. Was smooth sailing from there. You can only use the ATV for game retrieval though so keep that in mind.

I drew mine the very first time that I put in. I didn't draw one this year though. I put in for the badge hunts though. If you know someone who works there you can put in for those and they can take you on the range to hunt. I like those hunts a lot because you can go hunt every weekend for a month. Lets you be a little more picky on which one you shoot. After eating this oryx from last year, I don't think that I will care how big of one I shoot. Best game meat that I have tasted.

I was able to draw my oryx tag on the second try. I am sure my odds were better because I applied for the Iraq war vet hunt. I haven't tried the regular oryx draw. I spoke with the guy that runs the hunts , he said that they received 34000+ applicants last year. They only issue 1000 tags... So for the regular hunts draw sucked. The tags do change every year, so good luck!

Well, this was my second year to apply. I was told it was a shot in the dark to draw. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to the guys out there this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.