Which Truck should I buy

Sorry in advance for a half-informed second-hand knowledge post. A buddy of mine bought a newer diesel and apparently the fancy emissions system was an absolute killer on mileage. He couldn't pull it because they test in his state, and he was concerned that it might jack up the computer/injectors/etc (everything is complicated now).

Anyway, he sold it and bought a gasser. Just thought I'd throw it out as a consideration when looking at newer diesels (at least worth investigating). Again, sorry if I am full of crap, this is already solved, easily remedied, etc....

You know what I drive but I will put it up here anyway. Toyota Tundra Crew Max 5.7 liter. It will haul a trailer with 2 ATVs into the mountains into the middle of NM and get about 13 mpg round trip which is about a 6 hour trip.

It gets about 17mpg on average. Not great but better than some. I like it because it has a crap load of room in the back cab (Crew max) to store all my gear and guns. You can take two people hunting and literally store everything that you need in the back cab except for coolers which I wouldnt put inside anyway.

I too like my 2011 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L 4x4. I get ~12/13 MPG in the city and 17/18 MPG in the hwy. I've towed 18' trailer up on the mountains on get aways averaging 10 MPG.

Attachments

• P1000945.jpg
    P1000945.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 15
I got a new 2004 Dodge Cummins, 6 speed manual, 4x4. It's the stripped down model with a regular cab and rubber floormats/no carpet. It's been very dependable. I use it every day, all day. After 9 years, I changed the batteries out a couple days ago.

2004 Chevy with duramax/allison tran. Purchased new I use this to pull my landscape trailer around town all week. I installed an K&N air filter and a Hypertech re-programmer about a year after I got it. When I hit the button a couple of days ago while fueling, to check average mi. it showed 24.3 this is in town. On the highway if I told you what it gets, well you would have to see to believe it. ( I try to keep rpm's just at or under 2000 on hywy) Two years ago going to and from Pinedale Wy. from west central In. we spent less than $400.00 for fuel round trip. This year in my buddys 2011 Dodge with hemi we spent $778.00 round trip. Never did average more than 17mpg. We will be taking my truck next year:) The hypertech was well worth the $300.00 I paid for it.

work bought me a '13 Furd f350 gas motor 4x4. it's OK, but I'd rather have a Dodge.

I'll be looking for an '07 Cummins Mega Cab with the 5.9l- not the 6.7- roughly the same power but better fuel mileage.

The tough time I have with a Cheb is the independent front suspension. Other than that it's a great truck. I know a few people who've done the solid axle swap in Duramax trucks with fantastic results.

Mike, I am a Chevrolet driver but have seen them all here around the ranch. The dodge diesels have now progressed to about 14 mpg.in the last year or two. I always thought the cummins was a great engine, and it is, or was. We just had to replace one that took a huge dump at just over 100 K, that was a $10 K + deal.

I would love to have a 2500 Durramax, but with the price of Diesel it need to give more mileage than gas.

So from what I have seen the used truck that will make me dig deep would be a 2003 Durramax. They ran very well and mileage was superb. I think they were the best of them.

If you run across one that is not completely worn out, you might want to give it a look. If I find one with low miles I will be looking hard.

Jeff

I just scored a used an 07 Duramax 3500 service truck, I'm taking it out and putting the boots to it in a few minutes. If my research was correct 07 is about at good as it got, I don't have the full emissions package and it has the better Allison.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do, my buddy runs a little newer Dodge 1 ton and it was only doing 8-9 MPG and they did a full monty delete on it and chipped it and he's up in the 12-14 range and it went from kind of a dog to lighting his tires up on the top setting. I raced him one day with my other truck which was was much lighter and had a 454 and I was able to stay with him till he flipped the controller switch and he left me in a cloud of smoke and it was not a slow pull away, he blew my doors of!
I'd like to find an early 24 valve Dodge, that engine could breath and had little to no crap on it, put an intake and exhaust kit on it and let it breath easy and it was hard to beat!!

The early Duramax have one major issue that was resolved in later years and that is they were sensitive to fuel issues, that is, the fuel filter arrangement wasn't pulling the contamination/suspended water out of the fuel stream and the pumps were having issues. The Duramax is a Japanese (Isuzu) design and the early engines were all Japanese built. They still build intrinsic components BTW.

No Tier 3-4 compliant diesel gets decent fuel mileage today unless you do some electronic fiddling via aftermarket tuners but the most reliable/simplest design is still the I-6 cummins, even with electronic injection. GM is second in reliability with the Duramax and Ford is last. Ford used to be tops with the 7.3 IDI engine but decided to get more power from less displacement and sophisticated engine management and that backfired plus, Navistar knew how to build a diesel, Ford don't. Barring the marriage of ford components with Navistar engine management, the 7.3 was a 250,000 mile before bearing roll in engine.

The problem with the Dodge isn't the engine or the transmission, it's all the rest of the components. Chrysler has little QC, buys the cheapest everything so expect issues down the road plus they rust out faster than a Ford's wheel wells. Ride wise (and ride is important, especially if you take the wife and kids along, GM is tops, Ford is second and Dodge-Fiat last.

My first choice would be a GM/Duramax, as much as I despise Obamamotors, second a Dodge/Cummins because of the component issues and dead last a Ford
even though we are a Ford employee family.

Car wise it's the total opposite, Ford is first, GM second and Dodge-Fiat dead last.

Far as having a Dodge-Cummins puke with low mileage, anyone can have an issue. After all, it's complex piece of machinery thats assembled by humans. Poop happens to all of them. I'm seen them **** the bed before they are sold.

You know guns, I know diesels. What I do for a living.

I just scored a used an 07 Duramax 3500 service truck, I'm taking it out and putting the boots to it in a few minutes. If my research was correct 07 is about at good as it got, I don't have the full emissions package and it has the better Allison.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do, my buddy runs a little newer Dodge 1 ton and it was only doing 8-9 MPG and they did a full monty delete on it and chipped it and he's up in the 12-14 range and it went from kind of a dog to lighting his tires up on the top setting. I raced him one day with my other truck which was was much lighter and had a 454 and I was able to stay with him till he flipped the controller switch and he left me in a cloud of smoke and it was not a slow pull away, he blew my doors of!
I'd like to find an early 24 valve Dodge, that engine could breath and had little to no crap on it, put an intake and exhaust kit on it and let it breath easy and it was hard to beat!![/QUOTE]

You have the shop. Buy a crate motor and do a swap. You can buy dressed engines with mechanical injection. The only difference between the early Allison and the late model boxes is the clutch materials were upgraded and the actuation pressue was increased and I think they added an aditional planetary cluster in the direct section. Allisons are hard to beat and impossible to kill.

I don't get some of the number you guys are posting, the mpg I referenced was towing a 10k trailer with an additional 2k of studs in the back end at 11 to 13 mpg average.

Another one of our horse buddy's is getting 24 average and 30 plus on the highway with a 2005 2500 dodge.

My friend Bruce has a 03 dodge and is getting 23 around town with a banks power upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.