Which Stock Paint.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Centre Punch, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Centre Punch

Centre Punch Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    i want to paint my HS precision stock, so could anyone steer me towards the right paint to do the job.
    I'm after a matt finish that can be applied by brush or sprayed through my airbrush.

Here in the UK we cant get the paints offered by Brownells or the likes and they wont ship any aerosolls or hazardous chemicals outside the USA. I have thought about VHT and other high temp engine paints but cant get the colours i want. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

2. kregg slack

kregg slack Active Member

i paint stocks with reg car paint.

3. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

See if someone has the Krylon ultra flat paint, I know Cabelas has it in non-spray can form. If you can't find that look for some waterfowl decoy paint - you can run it through your airbrush easily.

4. Pete Lincoln

Pete Lincoln Well-Known Member

You could send it back to HS for a repaint, otherwise.. gunkote will work, so will a few others but tend not to be as tough as the factory paint.
    Pete

5. RBrowning

RBrowning Well-Known Member

I haven't painted a rifle, but I used to paint my bow. I like using plain primer spray paint. It isn't as tough as other paint so it could be easily removed. It is cheap unough to apply that you could change the color balance for a particular day's planned terrain. Primer comes in grey, rust (redish brown) and black. These worked for where I was hunting.

If you are looking for greens and tans, try a paintball dealer. Some of them paint their guns too.

6. szabo

szabo Member

we spray all of our stocks with zoletone,great stuff super durable