Which Stock For New Custom?

grit

I'm trying to choose a stock for my first custom rig. I have a Boyds thumbhole I like. I'd like something similar out of a synthetic.
I've looked at the following stocks, and would like opinions on them.

Manners gat
McMillan Lazzeroni thumbhole sporter
HS thumbhole sporter

thanks for the help

i'd say handle all of the above if you can,their all going to feel different because of how their built, example huge thumb hole small thumb hole,or not enough room for the web of your thumb. function,looks,and cost are all factors. i'd look hard at Manners gat,lots of people are buying their porducts and are very happy when they give a review. if the h-s thumb hole sporter is anything like their silhouette i'd pass,but i really don't know about their t -hole sporter. mcmillan is the Cadallic of the 3 for sure but its your money, will it feel right? that brings you back to square one handleing all 3 . good luck and regards jjmp

jj,

Don't know where I could handle any of them. That'd make it easy. I think they're all quality.

Jim,

Thanks. I'll take a look.

I have the McMillan lazeroni thumbhole for my 7mm-338 Dakota with a shilen barrel. Love the stock --- only complaint would be the weight - not how it compares to the Gat on wt or feel. Looked at a HS and did not care for it.

This is the stock I'm leaning towards. Are you saying the stock's too heavy? I believe you can order lighter or heavier.

Grit:
The stock is on the heavy side - wish I could tell you the exact wt - but I didn't record it when I received it and it has been to long to remember. But comparing it to my buddy's HS stock - it is considerably heavier. That being said --- I have very little recoil with my rifle without a break which was a goal when I built my rifle. I am in the park city area typically, but will be in draper dec 31 - jan 10th if you would like to get a feel for the stock.

I would be grateful to handle the stock. I would happily drive to Draper or Park City to look at it. Unfortunately, I have a big project going in Reno. I am home for Christmas (20-27th). If sometime during this week will work, let me know. I know it's busy.

I don't have any plans to come home during the first two weeks of January yet. But, I could.

Thanks for the offer!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.