which Sightron SIII should I get ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Stealth Hunter, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Stealth Hunter

Stealth Hunter Member

Hello, I just bought my first gun, a Tikka T3 lite in .300WM
    I"m looking to practice target shooting and practice to shoot at up to 1200yards.

I want to buy a scope that I would keep while I change guns & possibly move up to .338lm.

I was looking to spend around 500$ but none of the options had good enough feedback, so after some intensive research seeking the best value for the money I decided on a Sightron SIII

now I need to figure out which version of the SIII I should get.
    I'm probably going to get a MOA since it seems to be the most popular and most user friendly.

so here's my question, which magnification should I get for a comfortable use up to 1200yards.
    which combination of MOA reticle type and click value should I get ?
    1/8moa? 1/4moa? fch dot mildot mrad ?? I don't even know what that means

thanks !

2. ZSteinle

ZSteinle Well-Known Member

I would go with the 6-24x50 with the MOA reticle. I use the 6-24x50 and I really like it. The only downfall i have found with mine is the turrets turn just a bit easy for my likings. Sometimes when I pull it out of my eberlestock the windeage will turn a couple click. I also worked out a zero stop mechanisim using O rings. Not the best but it does work. The glass in these scopes are excellent! Do you know where you will purchase it from. I ordered mine through Brian at Shoot-long.com he has great service and great prices.

Sightron SIII Tactical 6-24X50LRMOA New MOA-2 Reticle | Shoot-Long

3. jpd676

jpd676 Well-Known Member

I also have the 6-24 MOA reticle, it is on a 300 wm. The glass is truly awesome and will get to 1200 and beyond. Whatever you choose, make sure the reticle matches the turret, moa/moa or mil/mil. That will make things easier on you. I would get 1/4 moa because 1/8 is too much clicking for my taste.

4. D.Camilleri

D.Camilleri Well-Known Member

I have the 8-32x56 on my 338 rum with target dot and moa and I really like it. It keeps me from having to pack a spotting scope.

5. Armored Transport

Armored Transport Well-Known Member

8-32X56 LRMOA here on a 300RUM. GREAT scope for the $. More power is better. You can read mirage up high if you choose then dial it back if you must.

6. Hunter2678

Hunter2678 Well-Known Member

I bought my SIII 8-32x56 LRMD for 1000 yd shooting. I'd recommend that magnification range as well for you.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  7. Stealth Hunter

Stealth Hunter Member

Thank you guys !
    I bought a Sightron S3 25148 with the MRAD turrets and MILDOT reticle. I figured metric would be easier for me.