Which scope?

silvercreekguide

I am building a new 338 EDGE and want to get out past a mile. Now I have a vx3 6.5-20x50lr and was wondering if you would keep it or sell it and get something like a vortex pst? I like the MOA reticle and zero stop in the pst. Are these features worth selling my leupold? Would the vortex pst be able to make it out that far with a 20MOA base?

Thanks, Mike

Mike, Im not saying sell your Leuplod. But I love the PST with the zero stop. It has 65 MOA adjustment elevation. I dont know your load but Im guessing at a mile your gonna need around 50 MOA. It will get you there as far as that goes.

I don't have the rifle yet but i am hoping it will shoot the 300gr berger about 2800fps or faster and where I live 50 MOA will get me to 1960 yards. I just would want to be able to stay at 200 for a zero.

Thanks Mike

id look at the 4-16 pst. it has most travel than the 6-24 pst. id defintally no question about it go with the pst over the leupold. leupolds are not bad scopes, but they are way overpriced for what they are

I second the Viper PST. I've been a Leupy buyer for years and tried a Viper, no more Leupy's. You can't beat them for the price. The PST is a bit heavy, but then so's the Leupy and everyone else.

Interestingly, I'm about to mount another on a Savage 11-111 LWH in 300 WSM with Talley one piece base. I'm planning on milling the stock Talley base (0 MOA) to 20 MOA which is no biggie. Just a matter of ball milling the correct receiver radius in the base at the correct angle (using a sine bar and gage blocks to extraploate the angle) which in the case of the Talley is 9 degrees 30 minutes.

Talley will custom mill the base to your required MOA cant for an additional machining fee BTW but I have the machinery so I'll DIY.

Since you have the scope I would stick with it. Someone gave info on here where you can get that scope zero stop. I made my own for a Mark 4. You can get a TMR reticule if you dont have one which is nice for quick hold over shots. Save for nice cosine, bubble and mnt. I like nice ring and rail set up for a easy change if I NEED, between multiple rifles.Good bipod.20 moa rail

sp6x6 I have everything that you mentioned except the TMR recital. How did you make the zero stop for your mark 4? I think that I will just keep the Leupold and just save up and buy a PST here in a few months.

Thanks for all of the advise guys!

Mike

On the mark 4 , the turret dial climbs, you can simply put shims under the dial. I made some once that was just butter lid plastic and worked ok. But on my main rifle a put a small bronze washer as a contact, under the dial, and in the dial cap installed a small allen screw to fine tune the ZERO. I have it so it can just go past a hair. Also on my vari 3's, I have 20 moa rail,so closer to bottom, on my range card, I note turns to bottom for dial, as reference, 1 1/4 etc. I had my high school kid mess my dial up twice on speed goat hunt, for him.

Attachments

• 338 Norma.jpg
    338 Norma.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Don't forget about the Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMOA. They have 100 MOA of travel, in fact the last one I dialed before I sent it out had 108 MOA from top to bottom. For my eyes the eye relief is way better on the Sightron especially on higher magnification. Sightron SIII 6-24x50LRMOA

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.