Which scope...

ArcticFox

Im faced with another problem, which scope. Im mostly going to be coyote and p-dog hunting and looking for some opinions on the right power 4.5 - 14x or 6 - 18x let me know what ya think.

Thanks,
ArcticFox

Either power you mentioned should do just fine for yotes and pooches.

I've shot alot of coyotes out to around 500yds give or take a little, and never felt a bit underpowed with 15X.

Too much power in the prarie dog towns is sometimes a waste.........what I mean is; Mirage gets really bad. I've done most of my dog shooting with 12 to 16X. I can usually spot my own shots (assuming gun doesn't recoil much) and keeping it below 16X still allows me to see through the heat waves too.

You might benefit from 18X or more for load testing/development. I recently saw a video of a guy making a 1000 yd shot on a coyote with only a 14X scope.

For many many years, I used a 6.5-20X, I only used 20X for load testing. Most other times it stayed on 12-16X.

My question is what kind of rifle? Cal.? How far do you usually shoot? Terrain/conditions that you normally hunt?

Savage model 12 fcv, .204, I'd like to shoot 200 ta 500+yds, 20 to 40 acre clearings surounded by woods and some open fields also like to go out west p-dog hunting

Last edited:
Coyote hunting and P-dogs are two very different things... P-dogs you will want very good turrets and plenty of magnification, coyotes you will want less magnification --- hard chargers, close shots, and running shots. Mildot reticals are nice for leading on running shots.

Best of both worlds IMO, Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical. 2.5X - 16X or 4.5X - 30X. Good turrets and a mildot retical.

Coyote hunting and P-dogs are two very different things

+1 on that comment. For coyote hunting, I think a 3-9x scope is enough. Most of your calling situations are going to result in shots under 300yds.

I agree Ry. I also think that little .204 wich shoots screaming 32 gr. projectiles at over 4000 FPS MV will do a great job on yotes and praire dogs. I would suggest a 4-16x42 scope that will allow you to hunt both animals.
If you like the BDC reticle Nikon is giving a rebate till the end of Oct. I believe on any BDC scope. Check out the Spot On web site if you are not familar with BDC scopes.
Nikonhunting.com the click on Spot On.
Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm sure you will like that scope a lot.
It is still worth checking out the Nikon Spot On web site to get
the ballistic date for the ammo you are shooting.
Nothing like range time to make yourself a better shot too.
Keep me posted on your hunting season.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.