Which scope for my 6mm Norma BR.?

joseph

I have been using different scopes for target & hunting. The high power ones are 8-32 power with Mil-dot + 1/8" dot in the other. I am thinking that if I get a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm I would like it better for hunting. I would also want to use it for long range hunting out to 600 yds. (Pronghorns) and target shooting out to 1000 yds.

Is this the right way to go? It is a lot of $$$ for me so I do not want to invest into the wrong one. I think I can get one for about $825 and have M1 Turrets put on by the Custom Shop and maybe save some money instead of buying a MK-4 M1 for $1245.00.

What are your suggestions.

joseph

PS: How about giving the ballistics of what I will be shooting and have them etch the reticle to match the bullet?

Last edited:
PS: How about giving the ballistics of what I will be shooting and have them etch the reticle to match the bullet?

That approach will work, if you never change bullets, never change the velocity of said bullet, never change elevation that you hunt,........ well heck its just kind of limiting:D

Is this the right way to go? It is a lot of $$$ for me so I do not want to invest into the wrong one. I think I can get one for about $825 and have M1 Turrets put on by the Pro shop and maybe save some money instead of buying a MK-4 M1 for $1245.00.

That would be my choice, although I personally would look at other scope options.
There are others out there that are as good as the Leupold for less money, not that there's anything wrong with a Luppy, just a little over priced for what you get. Just my .02 cents

Chris

The scope on my Cooper 6mm BR Norma is a Leupold VXIII 6-24, and it works fine for woodchucks out to about 500 yds.

Rather than have the scope etched, which is expensive, just buy a scope with Mil Dots and learn to use them.

I am going Prong hunting next fall and want to be able to reach out to 600 yards if I get the chance at that range. I do not want to miss because I got the wrong scope.

Night Vision Goggles, Night Vision Monoculars, Night Vision Binoculars, etc. = $1249.99 and only has 70 moa and has Mil-dot.

If I get the VX-III and have the M1 Turrets put on it and have 94 moa I save some money, but can not get Mil-dot with it.

Night Vision Goggles, Night Vision Monoculars, Night Vision Binoculars, etc. = $825.15 has 94 moa, but no Mil-dot.

joseph

PS: Will the Varmint Hunters Reticle work the same as the Mil-dot?

No. The Varmint Hunter Reticule is fixed at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards ONLY WHEN SCOPE IS SET AT 16 POWER FOR THAT CALIBER. Theory is sight it in at 200 on 16X and for the smaller calibers it will be on at the remaining distances. I have found this to be close, but not fully accurate. Or, you can set the power higher or lower and adjust elevation as you would in any scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts