Which Scope covers for Vortex Viper

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Bullet bumper, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bullet bumper

Bullet bumper Well-Known Member

Which Butler creek flip up scope cover sizes fit snugly on the Vortex Viper 6 to 24 x 50 PST
    Ocular diameter is 1.63 inch . Objective is 2.26 inch .

2. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

I forgot what mine are. Call Vortex and they will tell you which ones to get.

joseph

3. Bullet bumper

The problem is that some people say the size they recommend don't fit well .
    The fact that the caps are made to a size range that overlaps makes it very difficult to choose as you don't know how much the rubber will stretch or not .
    It would be better to say which size fits which model scope .

4. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

Ok I had a chance to look at mine.

The eye piece says 14-16-17. The other one says 39-40-43. I don't have the boxes they came in, but if I remember correctly the boxes said #16 & #43.

Mine fit fine. Hope this helps.

joseph

5. Bullet bumper

Thanks but that does not help because that's Butler creek's site sizes and they will not sell me anything god knows why .
    Vortex has different sizing on their site to Butler creek making it very hard indeed to compare .

6. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

I got mine in Walmart. Don't sporting good stores sell them near you? If they do ask if you can buy them and take them home and try them. If they don't fit take them back and try another size. Can you take your scope to the store and try them in the store.

joseph

7. Bullet bumper

If only it were that easy mate. We don't have anything like walmart .
    Only actual gunshops sell this kind of stuff and I only have one , an hour away and they don't have any to sell anyway and if they did it would cost twice as much . Most of my stuff has come in from the US over the last 30 years , but now we are being cut off by US more and more . I don't understand why .

8. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• 16 .png
      16 .png
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • 43 .png
      43 .png
      File size:
      59.4 KB
      Views:
  9. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Leupy Alumina covers fit if price is no object.

10. amce

amce Well-Known Member

11. Bullet bumper

Thanks for that , it seems a 14 and 43 is the Butler creek size but I can't seem to buy them . The vortex site shows a differnt size system confusing the whole issue . I have a friend in Elpaso so if I can't get them here I will get him to buy them in the US and post them on.

12. SidecarFlip

I just took both my Vortex PST scoped rifles to the local gun shop and had them fit both. Interestingly, the 4-16 took one size and the 6-24 was another. The smith told me he's seen alot that don't fit. Mine fit tightly.

I suspect that if they fit loosely, a wrap of black plastic electrical tape will cure the fit.

13. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

I dont know what size i have but mine fell off a couple times while at the townsend shoot, i think i shot 60 rounds total that day. I will try the tape.

14. SidecarFlip

The shop I took the rifles to has all the sizes of BC covers on the wall. He told me he always fits them and he did and they are tight. Having said that, my Leupold scopes have the Alumina covers which are really nice and really expensive, in fact, I had 2 rifles fitted and the price of 4 covers, custom fit by the smith was less than one set of Alumina covers.

He told me about the plastic elecrtical tape thing.

IMO, the Alumina covers are light years ahead of the BC in fit and quality but so is the price.

I believe they will fit any applicable ocular or objective because the internal threads (in the end of the ocular and objective are standard across the board) (or at least I think they are). The Alumina's fit on the Vortex PST, I tried them.