Which safe to buy

LB,
How do you like your cannon safe and have you ever had any problems with it or thier customer service. Is your safe the American Egle one? I talked to Cannon again and they informed me that thier safes have a 5 year warranty and no key bypass. Only the ones with a different group rating have those and are made in China. Any information you are able to provide will help. Thanks

Looking at that Fort Knox Titan, I have to say what a beautiful installation it is, boxed in between cabinetry and a wall, even the color blends in with a kitchen motif. Almost looks like you could keep the beer in there?

My wife would never allow a gun safe in her kitchen, I must be "p" whipped? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Good hunting. LB

Dont know if you have them where you are at but check out Heritage safes. They have a great fire rating and I think one of the best warranties in the business

good luck
steve

Don't put it in the kitchen then. Put it in the bedroom and hide (shoot from) behind it if the bad guys break in.

Another good use for a heavy gun safe is a place to aim your gun during dry fire practice. You know, just in case that empty gun goes off. Open the door and aim right in. The liner should dampen the shrapnell and the heavy rear wall will keep the bullet from going into the neighbors house. There have been more than just a few TVs killed by empty practice sessions.

A good safe is (can be) more than just a toy box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have only seen the inside of one Heritage safe door but it is the one I was thinking about when I wrote about lousy welds and weld wire still hanging from the weld points. It looked like the thing was made in high school metal shop class, By a C student.

This may not be representative of all of them but when you hit the $1000 mark I think it should be worth a look.

Also If the safe is from a small company I would question weather they will have records of the drill points 10 years from now for your safe. A locksmith will need this info to open a broken mechanisim. Most large safe companies can access this info by serial number for a locksmith. This may mean the difference between a $200 opening and some patch welding and paint job or destroying the safe and having to replace it alltogether. Some companies will replace a safe if it has been in a fire.

Your insurance company may give you a break on some policies if you have a safe. They may offer a bigger discount if it is rated by a testing facility they recognise.

I didnt see your post 4ked

We sell the Heritage safes out of our store and I dont know a whole lot about them. My dad really likes them mainly because of there warranty. I think you have to buy the extended warranty but with it if the safe is ever broken they send out a smith to fix it our ship it back to there factory free of charge.

I dont know all of the plus's or minus's of the safe world so I bet your opinion is worth a little more than mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

good luck
steve

Would there be any way to post a picture of the inside of one of these safes doors. Shouldn't be a security concern. Browning used to show their fancy locking mechanisim to their safes in magazines.

It would be a good learning tool for this discussion. If your dad dosen't want to risk marring the safe I would understand. It should be fairly easy though since I believe (not 100% certain) that the inside door panel just lifts up off of some hangers.

It would be a handy thing to see if possible.

I dont have a camera here today but if BJ will bring his to work in the next day or so maybe we can get one posted

thanks
steve

Thanks Lerch.

[ QUOTE ]
it shows the inside of their doors

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY MACKEREL!!!!! I had no idea they had that extensive of a mechanisim. I have never had a customer with one of these. That is an awsome bit of engeneering. With a door like that it should come with a plexiglass back. This rivals some of the intricate bank vault doors. It should be one of the "Awe factors" one experiences when they get to visit a friends gun safe.

Great link. I would hope that they all look this clean and solid and that this one wasn't just dressed up for the photo.

My AMSEC safe retails for around $2500 and it dosen't touch this one for appearance or intricacy (sp?)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

from what I hear fort knox are one of, if not the best out there! lifetime warrenty on everything, even their low end stuff, that covers locks and even paint!

if you ever have a fire or an attmepted break-in, they'll replace for free.

I think that you can actually get the plexi back...? I've seen them at gun shows with the plexi back, and i think that you could order them like that, don't hold me to that though. The insides are nice!

glad to see that they get 4ked's stamp of approval..

Hey 4ked Horn,

Have you heard of TimberRidge safes? I was in a sporting goods store and the salesman said that they are made by Libert Safes. He also stated that all of Libetry's safe have Sargent & Greenleaf combination locks which are supposed to be a great lock. Are you farmilar with this line of safes and combo. locks? From what I could see all of the safes there labled Liberty had the Sargent & Greenleaf combination lock. From the $500 ones to the $2000 ones. They also had a keyed cylinder on the lock. Thanks for the help.

I don't think that is true. The guy down the street is sargeant with local police dept, but he moonlights selling Liberty safes, and they have several lines like the Lincoln, and National(?) and I forget what all? But I'm almost positive they have the electronic keypad.

As far as my Canon, I have never had any trouble with it and I think the factory, or distributor is within twenty-five miles, (San Bernardino) so if I ever do have a problem, it's nice to know they are close.

I really like the elec. key entry. This is not in the same class as that fancy Fort Knox, mine is black with gold decals and a spoke wheel, but it's good enough for my needs, at the present. If I had that Fort Knox, I wouldn't hide it, it's too pretty, even if it doesn't have a beer tap.

Good hunting. LB

Yes it's true. I just talked to a tech rep at liberty safes and he stated they build that particular safe for Gander Mountian which is where I saw it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.