Which rings and what height

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by mitch291, Aug 13, 2014.

1. mitch291

mitch291 Member

Just ordered a vortex 4-16 hs-t for my savage 6.5x47. What rings and what height should I go with. The barrel is a varmint contour and I have a 20m one piece base.

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Checkout Burris signature zee rings with inserts. Depending on your base/rail, medium might work for you.

3. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

Ditto -
    As long as your scope clears the barrel by a respectable measure (I usually look for about 1/8 clearance to ensure there's no chance of contact) you'll be fine. Just make sure it's high enough to allow you to get behind it without putting a cramp in your neck or forcing you to apply more cheek weld pressure than necessary for you to achieve proper sight alignment.

4. RCrem700

RCrem700 Member

With the 20 moa base, get the low rings. I have the same scope, and bought medium rings at first, but they were a little too high

5. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

But only if low rings allow you to sight through the scope without burying the comb of the stock in your jaw bone.
    The key word in selecting scope rings, mounts, rails is balance; ya gotta balance the equipment to the need rather than adjusting your body to suit the setup.

6. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

Seekins makes a nice product. Regardless of manufacture you would need a ring measuring .87 or .88 in height. Some manufactures call them mediums, where others, call them lows. The vortex precision matched rings are made by Seekins.

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

8. mitch291

mitch291 Member

Thanks for all the help.