Which rifle to use for first long range set up. (Reposted from wrong thread)

The original pre 64 M70 was a mauser type CRF action with claw extractor. In 64, Winchester decided to cut costs in making the M70's and part of that was going to the push feed action and no claw extractor as I understand it. Guys who like CRF actions don't like push feed actoins so it caused a commotion among the loyal M70 crowd.

In 1992 the CRF and many of the original pre 64 features was reintroduced with the M70 Classic.

Good article on the M70 here....
Winchester Model 70 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ya, I know the history, from the goofy safety tang to the new trigger. I just could not understand whatthe fault was with push feed extractors. Mine has never failed, maybe some do, but iI am more interested in a good safety and strong action than the ejector.

Just a side note, I have a controlled feed version. It only ejects if the bolt is pulled all the way back and quickly too. There is no spring and button to swing the shell out. It's never been a problem. Just noticed it once.

Mine has actually had the extractor stop working recently, but its so simply made that i was able to take the extractor out of the boltface and clean and clear it all up and its working great now.

Ya, I know the history, from the goofy safety tang to the new trigger. I just could not understand whatthe fault was with push feed extractors. Mine has never failed, maybe some do, but iI am more interested in a good safety and strong action than the ejector.

Just a side note, I have a controlled feed version. It only ejects if the bolt is pulled all the way back and quickly too. There is no spring and button to swing the shell out. It's never been a problem. Just noticed it once.

It is a spring loaded fixed ejector. I have the same type M70 action. I like the spring loaded fixed ejectors over the plunger style ejectors in the bolt face. I have less issues with the fixed ejctors. My SAKO 85 has the same style ejector and is also a CRF. I don't really have a big prefference between the CRF and push feed, but the CRF is a better action IMO. The new CRF's (without the claw extractor) are actually a push feed CRF. A hybrid of both types.

Mine has actually had the extractor stop working recently, but its so simply made that i was able to take the extractor out of the boltface and clean and clear it all up and its working great now.

Yeah, it's a good idea to spray solvent into the bolt every 100 rounds or so to keep the carbon down. Brass shavings sometimes get down into the ejector port as well and they need to be removed by removing the plunger and spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.