Which rifle for this situation

bullelk14

Got a question for the experts. I am going to do a competition ( some may have heard of it ) where physical endurance and accuracy are both tested. Targets will be from 500-1200 yards. Due to the need to run 7 miles with my rifle, the Winchester Laredo LRH 300WM that I have set up for long range is out of the question due to weight. I have the following three choices in my safe: Remington VTR in .308 with factory plastic stock and 22 in barrel, Winchester Extreme Sporter in .270 WSM with 24 in barrel and factory full aluminum block stock, and Browning Abolt stainless stalker BOSS in 300WM with factory plastic stock and effective 24 in barrel. Given these choices, which would you start with to work up a load for 1000 yards? I really like the 270 WSM caliber and am inclined to start there with the 150 grain bergers, but would love to hear some opinions, pros and cons. Scope will be a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 MD.

I'm no expert, but am a fan of horsepower. I don't know much about the ballistics of the 270, but I'm pretty sure the 300WM whoops it when shooting the heavy 230g Bergers. If you are already stressed out from running and what not, you need all the help you can get in down range wind bucking ability. Of course, I'd pick the one that was most accurate at the distances specified, but I'd start with the 300WM and if it didn't shoot I'd move to the 270. If neither one shot, I'd borrow a gun from someone in either the 7mm caliber or the 338 caliber and just outright skip on the 308. All my opinion.

........................... Of course, I'd pick the one that was most accurate at the distances specified,

Like Good said ....plus you don't have to kill an ELK when it gets there....just smack a target. If 2 shoot equal I'd carry the lightest one.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.