Which primers for a .338 wm and .243

4ked Horn

I'm working on loading up some .338 win mags using H4831sc behind SGK 250 grainers.

Which primers do you reccomend?

While we are at it which one would you recomend for a .243 win using Varget and 100 gr Hornady spitzers? I have used federal standards and H414 and wasn't impressed. Had too many hangfires.

Thanks for the input.

I use cci 250 primers out of my 243 using reloader 19 and 87 grain vmax bullets and I have no complaints and as for the 338 I would use cci 250 or federal 215

Thanks screech for taking the time to reply.

I'm actually wondering about the benefits of a magnum primer or a BR grade primer? I had heard a long time ago that mag primers are not really needed unless shooting in extreme cold conditions. However the Speer manual uses them on all ball powders.

I am also wondering if BR primers are going to be needed for a gun that will be shooting the great majority of its loads inside of 500 yards.

I suppose I should have been more specific about the direction I was hoping the answers would go but I like to ask vague questions sometimes so I don't clog up the info I get in return with my owm predispositions.

Use the Fed Magnum primers in the 338 and the Fed regular primers with the Varget in the 243 and see what your velocity spread is.
When we were testing Varget in my 308, I was using the regular fed primers and was getting less than a 10fps spread. With that low of spread, why even bother with match primers?

I can see no reason to ever use a magnum primer in a 243. I'd always start with a CCI-200. This is after using magnum primers of various manufacturers over the years in a 270. Went to CCI-200 and the world became a better place.

RE: the 338 Win Mag. Went through H-1000, 4831, 4831SC, RL-19 and some others. Final test was with RamShot Magnum.

The link is ok but one target should be 74.5gr RL-22 and FED 215 primers.

The "other" lot of RL-22 @ 74.5gr w/250gr bullets always produced 2800 FPS. This lot jumped to 2930. Me thinks the Winny thinks itsa Wum. Or Norma swept in some other powder w/the mouse crap.....

Couldja keep us posted on you efforts. Not many out there doing things w/the 338.
Scroll down through this

For your 338 WM I would also recomend the Fed 215. For the .243, I would go for a CCI BR-2. I have had no hang, or misfires using either of these primers, and I have been fond of the CCI BR-2 lately.

Why not just go with the match primers (unless they cause a problem)? They don't cost that much more, and are more consistent. I bought 1000 of the Fed 215 Match and have been happily banging my way through them with my 338WM(soon to go bye bye), 338RUM, 7STW and 264WM.
I have been shooting Rem 9 1/2 primers out of my 243 and other standard calibers. I don't know if this is the best primer, but several of my guns including the 243 shoot great (.5 moa or better). I bought 3000 of these primers, all from the same lot.
This is not one of the usual powders, but my 788 243 shoots .5 moa or better with the Hornady 87 gr BTHP in front of 33, 34 or 35 gr of Win 748. This is a mild load, around 3000 fps. I just tried it once because I had some 748 laying around. I've shot several ragged hole groups with it at 100 yds.
For your 338, www.midwayusa has Combined Technology 230 gr Fail Safe (blemished) on clearance for $9.99 per 50. I ordered a couple of boxes. Not the best B.C. (around .385 I think), but for short to medium range shots should be wonderful on elk and other big critters.

I'll admit, there probablly is no use in a magnum primer in a 243 but my gun shoots them as good if not better than the cci200. I also buy the primers by the 1000 so I use them in mostly everything except for my syringes,/338-378, 300rum/ 7mm stw./

I use CCI-250's in everything 22-250 through 300Wby with much success. I tossed all the CCI-200's because I get much better extreme spreads with the magnums. Often in the single digits.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.