Which port?

No Fear in Accuracy

I was re-reading (yes, re-read it) Darryl's comment about "Must you be dedicated to the LR sport" under Ultra Long Range Hunting.
You should have at least 2 or 3 spotters/hunters to help you shoot well. A hunter must stay with the gun and don't take his eye out of the scope. Most benchrest shooters do that. They do it themselves.
Does it mean you have to pick the "right" port? Suppose, you are a Right-Handed, the bolt will be either LH or RH but the port must be on the left side of the action (Left port) so you can keep your eye remain the same while you use your left hand to put 2nd ammo into the port. I'm Lefty and I'll choose right bolt and right port. Is it a wise choice? or is it not neccessary for hunting but important for benchrest?
What do you say?

-Denny

Hello

Eather way, it doesn't make a difference.

You just have to stay on the game in the scope till it's dead once the first shot goes out the end of the barrel.

Your partner must stay on the game and lock his bigeyes on the game when it goes down. He has to talk you into where it went down when you go over for it.

We are talking 1000 plus yards here in most cases. You work as a team.

Later
DC

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

NFIA,
I agree with Darryl. Doesn't make much difference. The only reason I responded here is that I'm a lefty like yourself also and have had the same questions before.
For my competition guns, yes I use a left bolt, right port configuration and I can get them down range pretty good for single shot actions. But both of my LR hunting guns are right and right. Just need a little bench time and practice and you can easily learn to reload without looking and by simply moving your eyes and not your head if that's needed.

To make this point a little more, at one point last year my old LG was down and a friend let me borrow his rifle for a couple of matches until my new LG was done. That rifle was a right bolt/left port and I shot it as a lefty. Totally bass-ackward. With a little practice it was fine. Actually won 3 relays and 1 match with that "backward" rifle shot on the "proper" side of the bench.
grin.gif

Steve

I'm a Lefty Benchrest shooter.....my first BR gun was LB/LP....I learned to use it and could cycle rounds quite fast with minimal hand/eye movement....this is extremely important in benchrest when the condition that you shot your first two record shots in just came back and you have 3 shots to go and only 15 seconds of time to shoot them in....

My second BR gun is a LB/RP....the best move I ever made and I can cycle rounds even quicker....I'll never go back to a left port again.....

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.