Which outdoor print magazines do you read?

VHA Magazine - Varmint Hunters of America. Lots of great data and stories. I used to pick up Gray's at the local Library, but alas, they no longer carry it. Most of the rifle "reviews" in Outdoor Life and F&S are just sales pieces.

Varmint Hunter , Predator Xtreme and NRA. I let all my others laps as they were just getting smaller, poor articles and mostly adds. The Varmint Hunter magazine is my all time favorite as it is written by shooters that happen to write.

I am a life member of the NRA so I get American hunter. I like Handloader but don't subscribe to it. What makes me mad about most if not all of these magazines is that they never give a bad review because they are scared that the company will ostericize them. They will sit there and say that it shot a 2" group from 100 yds and tell you that it will make a great gun. I hate that kind of stuff.

I love the artwork in Gray's. Their photographry is outstanding
gary

Gary...

You need to take a hard look at my favorite (besides American Hunter) and thats Hunt'in Fool. The paper it's printed on is heavyweight gloss stock, the photographs are outstanding and the stories will keep your interest.

Be assured, it's not cheap date but it's worth the price of admission, like any quality thing.

I believe Len reads it too.

I am a life member of the NRA so I get American hunter. I like Handloader but don't subscribe to it. What makes me mad about most if not all of these magazines is that they never give a bad review because they are scared that the company will ostericize them. They will sit there and say that it shot a 2" group from 100 yds and tell you that it will make a great gun. I hate that kind of stuff.

that's because most all magazines are advertiser driven. Add that to the fact that reviewers won't get anymore freebies if they don't like what the truth is.
Precision Shooting was probably the last of the good ones, and now it's gone
gary

Gary...

Hunt'in Fool is not advertiser driven, quite the opposite. There is some advertising in it but only 'endorsed by Hunt'in Fool advertisers, no wanted and for sale ads no hype ads. HF First Article tests the 'endorsed advertisers products. If they don't measure up, the don't advertise.

I'm very impressed. I hate page after page of advertising, one reason I've quit reading industry periodicals pertaining to metalworking and welding. Very little useful information and a whole bunch of advertising. I do like trade shows because I can look at new machinery first hand if I can stay away from the 'representatives' that linger around.

My wife gets the Percheron News which has NO advertising, Funny thing, I'm allergic to horse hair......

They are her horses, not mine.....:)

I grew up reading Sports Afield, Outdoor Life & Field & Stream but have not had a subscription to any of these for many years.

Now I read Bugle and American Hunter... of the two, I enjoy reading Bugle the most.

'Huntin Fool', Eastmans Hunting Journal. Didn't renew my membership to OHA (Oregon Hunters Association) after they came under fire for a full page ad from an anti-hunting organization. They continued to run the ad.... must have been pretty hard up for money.

'Huntin Fool', Eastmans Hunting Journal. Didn't renew my membership to OHA (Oregon Hunters Association) after they came under fire for a full page ad from an anti-hunting organization. They continued to run the ad.... must have been pretty hard up for money.

Collecting your knives like I am?????:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts