which one? -ruger 7mag- wby 280-wby 338-378

inline6power

out of the big collection of guns in my safe, these three are the only ones i have left that are not customs. i want to build another 1000yd capable gun for mulies and targets. all three shoot very very well for being box stock guns. if you were to pick of of the three listed to build for a long range gun which one would you pick?
i was either going to send the ruger or the 338-378 to gunwerks for their long range package and put a nightforce g7 on it. just looking for opinions here. thanks.

ruger is a m77 with the skeleton stock

both the wby are fluted and have jewel trigs.

Between the 7mag and the 338-378 you mentioned you are deciding between, I'd send the 7mag off. 338-378 is a lot of gun for mulies, plus more expensive to reload if you are punching paper than the 7mag because of the amount of powder it takes.

Thanks for the reply . I just wasn't to sure if the ruger could be made to shoot that far with decent results

I know Rugers aren't the top choice for precision long range rifles, because of their actions (I believe). However, once you throw some money into the gun in the barrel, action, trigger, and stock, I am sure you could have a pretty slick shooter.

Someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in I'm sure.

My advice would be to sell all three rifles, then buy a Remington 700 and do a custom build with it. There are sooooooo many more aftermarket options for Remington actions.

You say you want a 1000yard capable cartridge. Many will do that. When it comes to targets it doesn't really matter. When it comes to hunting though, it will depend on your quarry. What are you going to hunt? If you're after big critters like elk, think 338 or 300RUM then you come down from there.

I have a Christensen 338-378 I use for elk. This tiger would be used for mulies , targets and yotes. I know its not the best choice for 1000yds but I think I am going to see how good I can make it. Just not sure if the box stock barrel will have the accuracy to hit targets at 1000. It shoots 1/2 at 100 so I know I got one of the better rugers but we shall see I guess. Already got a McMillan a-5 stock for it. Just needs a load worked up and a g7 night force and we shall see what she does

Looks like I had one more gun in the safes that could be a contender.
Browning a bolt medallion 7 mag or should I stay with the ruger m77 7mag

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.