Which Muzzle Break To Choose?

mbohnett

Hey guys,

I have a Savage model 10 predator chambered in 22-250. I love to coyote, prairie dog, and wood chuck hunt. I am considering having a muzzle break put on, not because the gun has any recoil, but because there is just enough muzzle jump that does not allow me to watch the impact/damage the bullet causes. I have read many forums and reviewed many products. The name that comes up the most frequently is Vais. My local gunsmith usually installs Shrewd. I like the Shrewd varmint because there are no ports on the bottom that helps minimize a dust signature but the Vais seems to be more frequently used. Any insight on what i should do? Is a dust signature that bothersome? Are all breaks going to have similar results in terms of muzzle jump? The added sound really is not an issue because i always wear ear protection and have walker's hearing muffs while hunting.

Thanks

My opinion would be to avoid bottom ports - if you are shooting prone the dust flying is annoying.

I don't think you can go wrong on a 22-250 - any reputable brake you choose should tame the muzzle jump.

+1on the bottom ports for prone, but if you don't shoot prone, Vias. Having a Vias put on right now

Try a mini muscle break with 2-3 top ports bored in it. Noise increase is minimal and top ports will reduce muzzle rise

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts