Which MOA base

MN Hunter

I just picked up a savage 111 long range hunter in 7mm rem mag. Going to put a leupold VxIII 6.5x20 on it.
Will be using 150 - 160 grain bullets.
Most shooting will be out to 500 yards. Would like to try longer some day. Maybe 1000 yards.
Will be buying a picitanni base. My question is which MOA should I get?
Any thoughts on EGW vs Night Force?

Thanks

Either a 15 or 20 MOA just work just fine. Also take a look at the Ken Ferrell scope bases. I just installed one on my Savage Target Action.

I agree with the 20 moa base. I like NF as they set nice and low but Ken Ferrel has good bases too. As for the EGW I have now officially seen 6 come across my bench that failed and were the cause of erratic groups. But they are cheap so many use them and will praise them. Just like shooting Chrony's and recycled condoms.

Jeff

Disclaimer: The last line in the above statement is a joke. Meant to bring a smile to your face and lighten the mood. Just incase anyone is offended, thinks I am picking on them, or being a bully with no actual knowledge of the products mentioned, including EGW bases and recycled condoms.

I agree with the 20 moa base. I like NF as they set nice and low but Ken Ferrel has good bases too. As for the EGW I have now officially seen 6 come across my bench that failed and were the cause of erratic groups. But they are cheap so many use them and will praise them. Just like shooting Chrony's and recycled condoms.

Jeff

Disclaimer: The last line in the above statement is a joke. Meant to bring a smile to your face and lighten the mood. Just incase anyone is offended, thinks I am picking on them, or being a bully with no actual knowledge of the products mentioned, including EGW bases and recycled condoms.

Never use either, especially the latter, new or recycled....lol:D

Jeff... Please elaborate on the EGW bases. I'm curious. I've had no issues with mine.

Never use either, especially the latter, new or recycled....lol:D

Jeff... Please elaborate on the EGW bases. I'm curious. I've had no issues with mine.

Wrong MOA of cant on a few, very soft material, hard to bed on straight, but the worst is the last ones have been coming in loose with the mounting screws and egged out holes. Seems the metal is giving way and they loosen and start doing the watoosey. They now offer a better screw as an upgrade now but the first design, which is the standard screw is very puny. This could be part of the problem.

Now watch the attack start...:rolleyes:

Jeff

Not from me, but you already know that, or should.

Interestingly, the EGW on my 11 was not even tight from the factory but then I tend to threadlocker and torque everything anyway. I replaced the OEM screws with quality ones right off.

As an aside, I went and looked at Ken Farrel's website. He has some nicely machined offerings at reasonable prices and his bases (in different MOA cants) are in steel, not aluminum (like the EGW is) and are true picatinny base dimensions, plus I like his bedding groove machined into the bottom side...which means I'll be ordering one with matching rings.

Savage makes an affordable platform so I expect some corner cutting. After all, it's a rifle in the 4-5K group but costs less than 1500. Consequently, some things will equate to a sow's ear.

Jeff

BACK OFF!

I have never used an EGW base but I have used a NF and they are really nice. I have a 20 MOA base right now but thinking of getting a 30 MOA base. My rifle is a 338 LM so a 20 MOA base should suit your 7mm MAG just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.